Normal or Is It High Blood Pressure for me???

I have always had very low blood pressure (85/67), but while I was pregnant with my son last year, my blood pressure was up to about 120/80. Now I know that is a "normal" result....however, I was seeing spots and getting dizzy all the time. I even passed out cold on the floor on my maternity ward tour (how embarrassing). Since my BP was "normal" they said I was fine. Could that have been hypertension for me? What do you think?

Justice828

Asked by Justice828 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is high for you...especially if you're seeing spots...that is a sign of high blood pressure. I'm the same way...mine is usually low (about 90/60) so when it gets up to "normal" my doctor knows that something is going on.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I am exactly the same way, this time around I am at 130/85 which is *super* high for me... and my husband would love to be that low! hah. My doctor wasn't concerned until protein showed up in my sample... now they are watching me like a hawk. Normal for me is 90-100 over 60-70. Though passing out is usually a result of low blood pressure, isn't it? As a side note, I also have anemia problems and I saw spots and got dizzy from crazy low iron -- which is also very common during pregnancy. I ended up needing an iron infusion. It made a WORLD of difference.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• have you talked to your doctor about it. i mean does he know that a normal bp is not what you have. cause i have something where my temp is lower than normal so if i have a normal temp then that means that i have a fever, and my doctor knows that so people cant be like your fine when really im not. so i would talk to your doctor about it.
    Anonymous

• It used to be that if it was over a certain range above your normal bp that it would be considered high but now they are trying to say it has to be 140/90 to be PIH or preeclampsia. With the spots you are seeing and all that you need to get checked out ASAP. You need labs run, you need a 24 hour urine done, not just a urine dip in the office. You need to get checked out, demand labs at the very least. Go to www.preeclampsia.org They have a signs and symptoms page as well as a wonderful message board.
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 10:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2009