would you turn your back on your child...

if they came to you and said"mom I am gay"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• When our children are born we say we will love them no matter what....unconditionally. But I have to admit there are times when love hurts. When a person we love does not fullfill our hopes, expectations, and dreams for them. That doesn't mean because you are grieving for your vision and your lost dreams of what should have been or what should be that is a reason to abandon your child. I would NEVER abandon my son for any reason. Period. If my son came to me and told me he is gay I would celebrate with him. One for knowing that he can tell us anything without fear or judgement and two for knowing his true self. My child (although I sincerely hope not) could one day commit a crime and that would not mean I will love him less. Heartbroken? Griefstricken? Yes. But the love will always be there.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Nope!
    Anonymous

• No I would not. My daughter is my everything and Nothing she said or did would ever change that. She is her own person and no matter how she turns out I will always be there for her.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 9:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• NO! nothing my child could possibly do would ever make me turn my back on them! that's the whole definition of unconditional love. It literally sickens me when I hear of parents just turning their backs on their own flesh and blood (or even adopted or stepchildren) for things like this!!!
    Anonymous

• Never.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No, I wouldn't. Never, ever would I do such a thing.
    I don't believe that gay is right but we ALL sin and IMO it's equivelant to turning my back on my child for lying.
    No sin is greater than the other.
    Anonymous

• That is what I think too,love is love and as long as my child is happy and loved-its all good.I amy not agree w/someones lifestyle but I would never make them feel they were wrong.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Nope... My son is 16 months and we are already pretty sure he's gay... I'll be shocked if he's not. I would kind of enjoy it. I'm the only woman in the house and it would be really nice to have someone to shop with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Never ever.
    Grneydmomof2

Answer by Grneydmomof2 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• NO!! I love my child unconditionally! No matter what their choices are.
    the1youluv2hate

Answer by the1youluv2hate at 9:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009