Chop Sockey Choocks

Ever heard of it? Cartoon on Cartoon Network, about kung fu chickens or something (?) Am I the only one who finds the title of the show racist?! dh thinks I'm weird lol, but I swear "Chooks" seems pretty durned racist and similar to a racial slur.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm not sure I have ever heard that word in a racist capacity...could be tho.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well Chook rhymes with Spook if that's what you're referring to. IDK< I don't think it sounds racial. Cartoon Network really isn't a great channel anyways.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I actually think it "sounds" more like C-in-. If you dont know what the heck I just wrote, replace the - -with missing letters from chooks in the same spot. I know it's NOT the same word, but it seems so close (to me)
    Anonymous

• it is i thought the same thing when i saw it and my kids are NOT allowed to watch it cause i think it is racist Chook is nasty slang term for Asians more specific Chinese
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• The racist word you are thinking of is gooks usually when referred to a person of Asain descent. You can read more about the derogatory term on Wikipedia. Chook is an Austrailian slang term for chicken and Chop Sockey is the slang term for the Asain martial arts film genre. I found all of this on Wikipedia. Just search for Chop Sockey Chooks and their is an article about the cartoon. So I guess no I dont find it offensive.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 10:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• where im at chooks is actually what is used when referring to asian so thats why i take offense to it
    i dont use it but know ppl who do
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Chink is a racial slur against them as well. I just think it's too similar for me to be comfortable with
    Anonymous