Can you think of any examples that the state regulates contact and communication between law-abiding adult citizens?

?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 7:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2011 in Adoption

• Privacy that was promised? by whom? I have adopted twice and neither time did anyone promise or was privacy asked for. Both of my children have their original bc's because I made sure i got them before finalization, because they deserve to have them. Both adoptive and birth parents shoudn't have annonimity and privacy when it comes to this, the child deserves to know their beginning. It is afterall THEIR birth certificate and records, they should have acess in all states. Good question OP
    lilsweetpea708

Answer by lilsweetpea708 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2011

• The state regulated communication on a professional level between medical staff and patient HIPAA comes to mind fist, but there are others such as informed consent. The government (state or fed ?) regulates that my financial advisor has to inform me about prostectust of investments he buys for me. There are also regulation when you buy or sell realestate about disclosing things like lead paint and asbestos. Was that anywhere near what you were asking for, or did you want strictly personal? I believe you must disclose when you have AIDS or other STD's or the state will do it for you. Am I getting closer? Oh this is the adoption section. I did hear of a man who was ordered by a court to call his mother once a month. Can't remember the details. Seemed kinda intrustive to me.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2011

• I apologized about my comment. Didn't notice the subcategory. Sorry!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2011

• The state isn't saying the people can't contact each other. The state could care less who you talk to unless you're harassing the person or there is a restraining order.

Sealed records, however, are a totally separate matter. The state isn't keeping them sealed as an attempt to regulate communication. The state is keeping them sealed in order to protect the privacy that was promised (either explicitly or by implication) at the time of the sealing. It has nothing to do with trying to regulate communication.

Also, once an adoption is final, the new BC is the ONLY BC. It's rather silly, IMHO, to do that. I don't know why they don't just issue "Adoption Certificates" or something, but... it is what it is.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 1:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2011

• I was never promised, nor did I ever want, anonymity when I gave my son up for adoption. I have gotten to know many other moms and none of them were promised anonymity either.

Thank goodness that my son and I were able to find each other anyways. Do you think that since we both know each other now that my son is able to get a copy of his original birth certificate? The answer to that is a big, fat NO.

So, if my "protection" is the reason the OBC is sealed, shouldn't we be able to get it now?
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2011

• Maybe when one person is in jail.

Answer by louise2 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 6, 2011

• No. I can't think of any. In other Countries such as China with the Communist Regimen Censorship isn't anything unheard of.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2011

• Jail. People can be in jail unable to make bond and are presumed innocent until trial or a judge decides and the county listens in on calls and limits contact.

Answer by gemgem at 9:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2011

• No, it's not anyone person being in jail, waiting for trial. No, its not in China.

It's in Adoption - in all but 6 states!!

The state has no compelling interest in and should not be in the business of concealing basic, personal identity information from its own citizens.

The fundamental right of adoptees to have access to our own government-held identity information is a separate issue from whether or not adoptees and birth parents should contact each other.
    Adult adoptees and birth parents contact each other all the time, even in sealed records states. As competent adults, we ARE capable of negotiating our own relationships, if and when we choose to form them.
    The state should not block adults from their own birth documents in an attempt to prevent contact between two adult parties.
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 6:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2011

• Excellent post adopteeme! Your point is very valid
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 12:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2011