infant cold remedies

What can I give my 3th old son for a cold. He is miserable and not sleeping

seaniebear

Asked by seaniebear at 10:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tylenol....a cold mist humidifer, booger sucker and saline nose drops...also i use johnsons vapor bath it works for me!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• saline drops are good.. get "little noses" ti will loosen it all up so all you have to do is suck it out! and baby vicks is good too!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:40 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Don't give that kid medicine. (sigh) Mix up some salt with luke warm water (saline drops), put a drop or two in the nose, suck it out..and if you're breast feeding, put some breast milk up his nose.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• *shakes her head* some medicines are ok to give to little ones. Tylenol is ok. Don't give her cold medicine. Check with your pedi to see what's safe and for correct dosages.
    Anonymous

• *so sick of being judged*...i may be a new mom but i follow all my doctors orders. my ped told me when my daughter was 3.5 months old that a little tylenol never hurts, it may make your little one sleepy but in a way its good cause that way instead of being uncomfortable your baby is able to rest and get better! one thing i forgot to add was if you use the cold mist humidifier keep the stuffed toys away cause of the mist it made my DD toys all wet and they were kind of gross so i learned my lesson!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Don't give your son Tylenol if it doesn't fit the symptoms. Fever, ok, but I'd skip it for pretty much anything else. My son had his first cold at that age as well, and I used saline drops and a humidifier. Some extra snuggles and cuddles, and he was better the next day.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You can't do much except to try to make him more comfortable.
    Saline drops to the nose and the suck them out with a bulb syringe
    Incline the head of his crib (put a pillow under the matress)
    Humidifier in his room
    We used a J&J bathwash for colds before bed
    And baby Vicks (I think the baby kind is all herbal)
    And if he is fussy fussy try some Tylenol.... but I would do this last.. you don't want to mask a fever. If he has a fever I would bring him in to be seen by your pediatrician. (too many icky things like RSV, Influenza and pneumonia this time of year)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:53 AM on Jan. 10, 2009