Could I be allergic to my own breastmilk?

My daughter didn't take a liking to my breastmilk, so unfortunately I have to let it dry up. I wear breastpads in my bra and every day I notice rash-like bumps underneath the nipple and on the lower part of the nipple. Not only is there a rash, but it itches like mad. The left leaks more then the right, and the left is also the breast that has more of a rash. Could it be possible that I am allergic (topically) to my own breastmilk? Are me and my daughter both allergic to it? Does any of this make sense?

KylieLeanne

Asked by KylieLeanne at 10:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like you could be developing mastitis, which is common when you're done breastfeeding. I would go see a doctor if it worsens.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Here's some information on mastitis:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

If you start running a fever, seek medical care.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• my guess would be that it's basically similar to a diaper rash in that you are trapping moisture against your skin for too long. try changing the pads more frequently.
    Anonymous

• It could possibly be a breast infection, but I'm thinking it's more a reaction to the moisture. Change your breastpads often and see what happens.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would change pads more often... and alos maybe change the brand you are using... some are better than others at keeping you dry.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• it actually sounds like thrush. does your baby have a white tongue and white spots on the insides of her cheeks? It may not be that she doesn't like nursing but that it hurts to nurse--thrush inside her mouth will make her mouth hurt.
    Go to your doc and ask.

Thrush is a yeast infection on the skin, btw. it itches like crazy and HURTS when you nurse. yeast loves moisture so it would make sense that the leakier side would itch more. try putting cold plain yogurt on your nipples until you go to the doc. the cold will relieve the itch and the yogurt actually helps the yeast. Eating yogurt also helps! :) You may need oral and topical anti-fungal meds. Triple nipple ointment is fabulous! And so it a treatment of gentian violet. www.kellymom.com search thrush protocol.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2009