when are babies supposed to start having hard poops?

barbiejo2009

Asked by barbiejo2009 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• As long as your breast feeding a lot, it should be a while. My 17 month old rarely does and I breast feed her throughout the day. If you're doing formula along with baby food, it will be much earlier and it's painful for them.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I breast fed my daughter, and it wasn't til she started eating a diet with solid food that she got hard poops, at about 7 months.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• "Normally" it's when they start on table foods. The closer their diet is to that of an adult, the more adult-like their stools will be.

Unless you have two of my kids who had problems with constipation since day one almost. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• They're supposed to have "adult-like" poops around 9 months.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My son was well over one before he started having hard poops. He's 22 months now and they are formed now but they have only been that way for about 6 months or so. They are also not that way at every poop. He's also breastfed so that does make a differance in my experience. My FF kids had hard poops way early.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009