Why does everyone have to push an agenda on everyone else?

It seems like every time some posts a question about how to co-sleep someone is writing back "oh don't co-sleep you'll regret it" or if some write a question about formula feeding people write back "oh don't formula feed, breast is best!" People aren't asking for your agenda or your permission, they're asking for advice on something that they have made their minds up about already. Can't we all just offer supportive advice for the situation the person is asking about without trying to push our own personal choices on them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• People are often very passionate about their personal choices when it comes to parenting (breastfeeding, circumcision, etc..). I guess they want to share their opinions and how they think it's the best choice. But we all have to make our own decisions. Sometimes it's interesting to listen to the different views and experiences of other people. I wouldn't take offense. : )
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• People have a need to feel superior. They think their way is the best way, and anyone who disagrees in wrong. If they can convince someone to follow them, they feel like they have won and get a power kick.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think that people are just trying to give their opinions. Which, is what is being asked on a post. You don't have to like or accept the answer. Just take it all in stride.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think most MOST people are trying to help.I know sometimes too things come across more harsh than people intend.It is frustrating tho to see people not answer the actual question.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• i co-slept for 5 months, but i had a snuggle nest bed. im not going to say not not to co sleep, because it has its benefits. i did have a friend who almost killed her daughter from co-sleeping (she worked 3rd shift and came home and just passed out in bed next to her hubby and i think her arm was crushing babies lung, but baby is fine now just needed some hospital time) but that is really rare. honestly i would never tell a parent they're doing something wrong unless i suspected abuse, because we all have different parenting styles. i didnt BF, i circumsized, and i didnt practice attachment parenting, and some people think that is wrong. its all a matterof opionion, no one is right or wrong.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Totally off subject, but I will always will tell someone about co-sleeping. I personally know some whose husband co-slept on the couch and he killed their 3 week old :(

I also will throw in that I co slept myself. But I think it is good to hear both sides to things, not having everyone giving a high five and not really speaking of the what ifs.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:09 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• im so sorry for your friend dakotaNrye :[ my heart goes out to her family
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I must be from the old school...... co-sleeping? Of course this post isn't about that particularly.... I think you have a good point. Unfortunately we respond in 'real-speak' and people just don't begin every sentence with"well, in my opinion"... I guess the fact that it's implied gets lost sometimes in the bossy language of mothers who feel strongly that their actions were the only right ones and everyone should do just as they themselves did. Trouble with that is that I mothered my children as I saw best, and every other mother does the same...... Difference is... some can't discern between sharing a view and slamming a agenda down someones throat. And of course we are reading typed language and simple (non-hostile) communications like touching a hand or pitch of voice is lost. So it's easy to misread words that have only punctuation as a substitute for body language and emotion.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009