WHY phase coming up, ahhh!

Today I faced my first blank when it came to telling my son something. He picked up a pine cone. I like to tell him what he picks up and what they do (yes, that's a pretty yellow flower. Does it smell good? No, that's a big stick, let's put it down so you don't get hurt, etc.) I have no freaking idea what pine cones are for! Never thought about it, never learned it. So I say "yes, that's a pine cone...and I'm not sure what they're for" lmao. Thankfully dh was with me, and he said they're for seeding. So I told ds "it's a pine cone, and it makes baby trees." Of course he started going "ahh, baby tree!" lol. But man, I just realized I don't know a lot of stuff ds is going to want to know...what threw you off guard that your kids asked about? So I might better prepare myself of course :-) He's going to start asking why to everything soon, I just know it!

mamma84

Asked by mamma84 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL good lesson to learn early on mom "I don't know so maybe we can learn that together." I got over feeling "stupid" when the why stage hit lol.Nothing sticks out that threw me off too bad.One time when my son was about 5 he asked me why people can have different colored skin.I of course went into genetics and race and all that stuff and when I was done he said"Oh I thought it was cuz God thought just one color was too boring." OMG talk about feeling humble lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• why lightning bugs light up lol didnt know that only males light up and its to find a mate...lol thank God my best friend is a kindergarten teacher lol but b4 she got there i told my son its so they dont run into each other its like lights on a car lol
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• lol those are too cute. My daughter just hit this phase, I can't wait to see how dumb I really am.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think I made up half the answers I gave my sons when they went through the 'whys'..... It's amazing how long they can keep it up!
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• oh yeah I totally would sometimes give them random goofy answers and they would buy it lol SAHM has to find some fun right?One time when he asked why the buffulo had such funny hair and I said"because the beauty parlor doesn't take buffolo chips as payment so they could not go" he said" ae those like daddy's poker chips lol?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Those are too cute!! my son isnt in that stage yet. But I enjoyed reading them!! I cant wait for my kid to get to that stage!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 11:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• lol that's a great answer your kid gave to the race thing :-) very cute, and only a kid could think of that! Hilarious answer to the lightning bugs!! Good thinking on your feet there ;-) I imagine I'll mess with the boys a little bit on my answers lol, but only when I'm really stuck!
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Well, my 2 haven't hit this "why" phase yet, but my 6 year old cousin has. So DH and I was over there today, and she asked my why I have a big crack in my boobies. (cleavage) I just laughed I didn't know what to say. My DH told her that I use to have one great big boob, but I feel on them one day and broke them in half. All the adults were laughing and she didn't know why. She also asked me how I got a baby in my belly. I looked to her mom b/c I didn't want to say the wrong thing. I diodn't know what her mom has told her about that whole deal. Apparantly her mom told her that a person prays to God for a baby and then God puts the baby in her belly. Then hse asked me to show her how I pray. I'm gonna be completely lost when my kids get to this stage! lol.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• BTW, DH had a field day with that one. (Show her how I pray.) If it wasn't for the gutter his mind would be homeless!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• lol lol "his mind would be homeless" I am so stealing that one lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2009