does my baby still love me?

i started this new job about two weeks ago and my mom has been watching my 3 year old and now he clings to her he doesnt even waat to be bothered with me wat should i do?do u think he is mad at me?is my mom taking my place? omg im freaking out

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your mother is not taking your place. And yes he may cling to her for a little while. Is your little guy mad at you? Well, ask him. He's old enough to answer that. If he says yes then ask why. Then talk about, in a simple way, why you need to go to work. Explain that you like to have food, clothes, toys, a home, a bed to sleep in....and the only way to have those things is to have money. The only way to have money and pay for it is to work. My two year old understands this now because he says, "Daddy go work for cash. We do cash at store." Only for some odd reason he thinks his daddy works at a gas station. I have no idea where he got that. But here is the deal, sit down with him anyway to explain. Do it at bed time and snuggle. Then when you leave in the mornings say you are going to work to earn money so he can have his nice safe things.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• He's going trough a phase. Don't worry, you will always be Mommy. He'll outgrow this and next week he'll be onto something new.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Through a phase sorry for the mis-spelling
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'd say he's mad.
    Think of all the things your mom did during your first 20 years that upset your routine or made you mad. Do you still love her?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• He's probably mad, but he'll adjust. And still love you! I know it must be hard, but try not to get too stressed about it. Maybe on your days off, you could do something special with him to have some nice mommy/son time.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:24 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's just a change in routine and they don't like that much at that age. My daughter is 4, and every time I would leave her at a childcare at church or anything she would be mad. They just get so used to being with you 24/7 they kind of feel like you are leaving them for a while. But then they start realizing you are coming back every night, and that they are just spending some time with whoever is watching them, and he will get over it. Yes he still loves you :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Is it when you and your mom are together? Or is when you are with just him? When we are at my moms, my son will not ask me to get him anything or to play with him. He goes to her for everything. But when we are home, he's ok.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Nobody will ever take the place of you, Mommy. Sounds like he loves his grandmother alot and that is good for all of you. He will adjust and so will you. You will have to get used to sharing him and negotiating how to do things with her. That's the reality of having her care for him. He is in good hands but that doesn't mean he will love you less. There is no stronger bond. Believe it, even if you don't see it. Whatever you do, don't react with hurt feelings or a need for him to prove his love or jealousy of your mother. That is childish and that wouldn't be a healthy mother/baby relationship. Remember, you have provided a good childcare arrangment and that makes you a good mom.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My mom watched my son and he started to call her mom. Its a bond that is going on. He is now 9 and knows his grandma and his mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• No. No one can replace you. If you think about it it's a wonderful thing that he's so close to his grandma. Imagine how you'd feel if he screamed his head off every time you tried to drop him off!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009