When a man wont cut the cord

How do I get my husband to "cut the cord?" He is only 19 but very mature for his age but it drives me crazy when he goes to his mom for things first. Sometimes i feel like i have to fight her for his attention.

CassieLee85

Asked by CassieLee85 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• My husband used to be the same way and boy oh boy did we ever make rounds! First off my hubby is an only child and has been babied his whole life, we had just had our son when my husband got layed off from work he called his mother and told her before me - his wife the family he supports. That was just 1 of many many times he ran to mommy, I finally had enough I packed up my stuff and my sons and I told him to go marry his mother that when he decided that he wanted a real wife and child and to play the rold of husband and father then give me a call otherwise enjoy kissing his mom's ass. He finally wised up it took him to see our bags packed and ready to walk out before it hit him.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 2:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• NO matter how mature he might act ..19? I don't think he is. But then again I know 40 year old men that still look for thier mom's for thier approval...move far away from your mother in law I'm serious!!
    Mexica

Answer by Mexica at 2:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My husband is like that. He CAN'T say No to his mom, and she just so happens to be one of those Posessive and controlling moms who likes to start trouble, so it's a real pain in the butt. My mom told me the only way for him to "cut the cord" is over time he will start to see, so basically "time." You can tell him all you want but it will take him to realize it himself before it gets better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Oh man does this bring back memories... My hubby and I were 18 when we had our daughter and throughout the whole pregnancy I begged him to consider cutting the cord and in general just being a part of the birth and he flat out told me No because it made him uncomfortable. Well lone behold, mr tough guy the morning of our birth, has his head down between my legs watching the head come out and yes he cut the cord. So maybe just let him decide spur of the moment... I have no idea why my guy changed his mind but he was really into it and he loved it. It was by far the GREATEST bonding I've ever experianced and it was partly because in the end he wasn't forced to.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 6:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I've been married for 11 years and my husband has grown up and finally sees what I mean about how he is with his mother. He has changed and matured a lot but I don't think I will ever have him completely to myself.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 6:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2008