What is the proposed stimulus check worth to you?

Do you think that receiving roughly, say, $500 is worth putting our country in debt of almost a TRILLION dollars? Well, ok, maybe just around $775 MILLION...

Do you think that about 500 bucks each is REALLY going to jumpstart this economy and solve all of our problems? Our future will have to pick up the pieces of TRILLIONs in debt?!?

Thoughts....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• For many, they would say yes. A little bit of cash for 47% of Americans that wouldn't have ordinarily gotten it was enough to get a fool elected. Of course, people want the money. Who cares what the debt is or how bad things will be with Obama, give me my check!
    Anonymous

• Do I think $500 is worth putting this country further in debt hell yes.We will always be in debt anyways and it about time that the american people saw at least one valid reason for it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It's only a "payday" for those who live for handouts. To me, it'll pay bills and/or go in to a savings account. It will NOT jumpstart the economy.

What needs to happen is Obama needs to LOWER business taxes. That will, in turn allow employers to expand product lines, increase production and HIRE people! THAT is what will stimulae the economy--not yet another short-term fix that will NOT be used for it's intended purpose. Unfortunately, Obama and his fiscal inexperience will show on this one...some things are best learned by DOING, not READING/PLAGIARIZING about!
    Anonymous

• As far as I can tell the stimulus isn't coming in the form of a check but in the form of reinstating and creating new jobs and different tax breaks.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm for less taxes, less government, and more of my money coming back to me, but my opinion was that the stimulus package was simply a good gesture for votes, and btw, I'm a Bush supporter. I do financial counseling for families trying to get out of debt. It seems like it would make common sense that the government would only spend money that it actually has in hand. And so where is this money supposed to be coming from? Hummm?  I don't believe in spending money that becomes a debt liability.  Not to say that I didn't happily spend my last stimulus package, matter of fact, I bought a side of beef.  It will have fed our family for over a year.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Nothing. I am so sick and tired of bailouts and people expecting a check in the mail.

What I'm even more sick and tired of is pinching our pennies to make it in this economy, all the while trying to save anything we can for emergencies and our children...and every day I see a new post from someone asking when their check is going to come.

And what's worse--the first one didn't even do what was promised. People paid bills or saved it...and if something comes in the mail for us, into my child's savings account it will go.

So many of us are struggling; I get that. I get that assistance is necessary for some, but definitely not for all. I'm beyond frustrated at knowing that my children are going to be footing this bill for years to come, and I don't care who it is handing out checks--Bush or Obama. It needs to stop.
    Anonymous

• micrespo--

What is it that government jobs PRODUCE?! Who hires these people, and who pays them?! Answers: Nothing, The Government, You and me. Which equals SOCIALISM!!!
    Anonymous

• I think it is selfish and sad. Just because we are already in debt, doesn't mean we can go print out more money, and distribute it and create MORE debt.

We are in this mess because people can't budget or only spend what money they do have, why does everyone think that by giving more money to people things will miraculously change? It is like giving an druggie more drugs. Not good for anyone!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• anyways in NY I doubt it will go to the people... so far I've ready that they want the money to be divided up amongst the state, and from there to the counties... not to individual people.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I thought the stimulus was to go towards civic projects, like fixing roads and stuff like that? I guess I need to pay more attention.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2009