In laws that overstep parental boundaries

The other day we took the kids to see my mother in law. My son had been sick with a cold and was still very congested and having trouble breathing(asthma). He asked to go outside and my husband and I told him no because he had been sick and he needed rest and not to be running around. My son then threw a fit. My mother in law then gets in the middle of it and says dont tell him that, then turned around and told my son he could go outside and play as long as he didnt run around. What 3 year old doesnt run around?? How do I deal with this in the future?

CassieLee85

Asked by CassieLee85 at 1:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• Tell her that she had her chance to make her mistakes as a parent and now it's your turn. (Assuming she feels you are making a mistake.)
    jeni2671

Answer by jeni2671 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Tell her nicely that you and hubby do not like your disciplin undermined. It is counterproductive to his learning his boundries if parents say no and grandma says yes.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You can always just pull her to the side and tell her how you feel because after all that is your child and not hers.
    Me personally I would just tell her not to over ride what you say because you are the mother and she is the grandmother. Every relative no matter who they are should know their boundaries. she is brushing you off in front of the children is not good. Then they will think that going to grandma over you say will be okay and its not. Your mother-in-law should respect your your sayings with your little ones tho.
    good luck!
    mommy-in-pink

Answer by mommy-in-pink at 2:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• This is a huge problem if it comes to your sons health! Who has to deal with a little boy who has to be taken to the hospital with an asthma attack? Mom and dad. Sit her down and tell her squarely, she can't be part of the kids life if she's going to overthrow your decisions. I had the same problem with my own mom. My mom was putting baby to sleep on her bell, giving her bottles of sugar water and leaving her alone downstairs while she did laundry. I told her never again, or else she wasn't allowed to be part of her life. Because ultimatly it's your turn to be the parent, their run ended and the grandparents don't get the first say and thats that.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 6:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• BUTT OUT you know whats best
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 3:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2008