Need help with potty training a 3 year old girl......

She just turned 3 in December and is not at all interested in the potty. She got interested around 18 months and has gone back and forth since then. We have done everything! I feel like a failure because people will be shocked and say"she isn't potty trained yet"? I have left her alone about it for a while now thinking that would help but now I just feel like I should have been doing more! Any suggestions???????

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 11:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is there a friend, older sibling, or cousin who IS potty trained who she looks up to? One of my brother's daughters flatly refused to use the potty. When she was nearly four, her brother (who was 5) turned on her one day and for no apparent reason scolded her and told her she was too big for diapers. He turned around and walked away. She went and found her mom and asked for panties. She was 100% potty trained from that moment.

Another thing I've heard that can work is to have her clean up any messes. Show her how to wash her panties out, give her a little bucket and clothes to clean up the floor. Have her do the grunt work. Not in a mean or nasty way but in a "you are big enough to clean up after yourself" way. Apparently it gets real old, real fast.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Keep encouraging and praising her efforts while taking her on a timed schedule. Don't wait for her to ask to go. Tell her every hour that it is potty time and sit her on the potty. Give her something to occupy herself while sitting. My daughter liked the book called, "Once upon a potty!" You could look at it while she sits and trys. If she goes on the potty, give her a reward for success. Are you using pull-ups or diapers? If you are then get rid of them during the day and put her in panties! She needs to feel the wetness.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter turned 3 in Nov. and she hardly ever tells me she has to potty. She is not fully trained yet but, we are working on it. I am so proud of her she is really doing good. She will not tell me most of the time but, wait until I take her IF she has big girl panties on. She really like Dora the Explorer so we bought her Dora panties. My husband is a hunter and she has really wanting to go hunting with DaTea so we have told her that when she starts wearing big girl panties all the time she will get to go hunting with DaTea and she loves those cupcakes from Walmart so we told her we would order her some Dora cupcakes when she starts wearing big girl panties all the time. This has really helped. I hope this helps.
    1BlessedMa

Answer by 1BlessedMa at 12:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Mine turned 3 in November and were working on getting her potty trained. She is obcessed with being a big girl. If someone askes her her name she says she's Kayci the big girl...so I used that and everytime she'd poop in her diaper I told her she wasnt a big girl, she was a baby bc babies poop in diapers. That got her to start telling me she had to the bathroom. Another thing, that's kinda weird, is when I was little my mom would tell me that when I pooped it would go to WalMart (you go to WalMart and nasty ppl dont flush) so I thought it was funny and it made me wanna use the toilet and I would always wave and tell my poop "bye see you at WalMart" lol yeah thats weird but it worked...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Take her to the store and let her pick out "big girl panties". That same day, take her diapers away, pull-ups ect. She'll have an accident or two, but she'll figure out when she is peeing and want to go in the potty instead of getting wet. I potty trained my daughter in 1 day .... it was actually pretty exciting. i'm not sure if I got lucky or what...but she is 3 now and she doesn't even ever have accidents during the night. She potty trained fully at 2 but i left for the military and she rebelled...i came back and bam...i did what i did before and she followed suit...Thats how I recommend it.
    navymama101705

Answer by navymama101705 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We waited until all our kids were 3. Wait until you have time to stay at home a few days. Buy her character underwear. In the morning say "today's the day for big girl underwear! You get m&m's when you go on the potty!" Put her in the underwear. She'll feel it right away if she has an accident. Put her on the potty often to start. It will only take a few days. I wouldn't go out of the house if I were you. I just did this with my 3.5 year old son. He was so ready that he only had a few accidents the first 2 days and that was it. Whatever you do, don't ever go back to diapers or pull-ups (except at night).
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I gave my daughter a time that I told her, I'm going to stop using diapers and pullups and we are going to wear big girl panties..she had quite a few accidents of the past year but she was fully trained by the end of the summer (I started in March of last year)...I did a potty chart with stickers. She did excellent with it. just put them in big kid underwear and see what happens..chances are, she'll have several accidents before she gets it that she doesn't like getting her whole body wet or poopy, but she'll learn to get it...
    thomasfam14

Answer by thomasfam14 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2009