How to increase breastmilk supply

Alicia51403

Asked by Alicia51403 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• theres something called... fenugreek? i think, someone will correct me. you get it at health food stores
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Well, first off, I'm curious to know what makes you think you're not producing enough? If it's because you're unable to pump a significant amount, don't worry. Pumping is not a true indication of production. As long as your baby is having 6-8 wet diapers per day, your supply is fine.

If you do indeed have a supply problem (which only about 2 or 3% of women do), first evaluate what's causing the problem. Birth control? Are you supplementing with formula? Are you not feeding on demand? All of these things can cause your supply to decrease.

There are things you can do to help. Fenugreek, as the above poster said, worked wonders for me. I took about 12 capsules per day, 4 3 times per day. Oatmeal also helps, as does Mother's Milk Tea. Feed on demand. Demand=Production. Pump in between feedings. And if none of this helps, talk to your doctor. There are prescription drugs that help.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 12:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Yes, it's called Fenugreek. You can also use it along with Blessed Thistle and Mother's Milk Tea. All 3 of these products will help your supply a lot so use them all together.
    Also protein. You must have protein because it takes protein to make breast milk.
    Pump and feed more often and longer even if no milk is coming out keep pumping!
    It will tell your body to make more milk.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• http://breastfeedingbasics.com/html/increasing.shtml this is a really good site for answers
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 12:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• why dont you think you have enough milk? Count wet/poopy diapers. If your LO has enough, then you have enough milk.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• #1, before trying any supplements, RELAX! This has been my number one issue with breasfteeding and it's funny, but when I just sit back and take a deep breath, the milk comes in. I wish everything else was that easy!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• What helped me increase mine was to pump for about 10 mins after I was done breastfeeding... I also added an extra pumping session in before I went to bed (froze that milk)
    Fenugreek can help
    Drink lots of water
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Please stop by the breastfeeding moms group for more help. And check out kellymom.com for an article on supply...the only true indicator of low supply is less than six dipe changes a day.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2009