Why do kids need cell phones Part II

Ok. Thank you moms for your response to the first cell phone question. Here's part II. Do you allow your children with the cell phones to use the phone on their ear or do you have them use the ear plug that comes with the phones? I only ask because the jury is still out on the effects of the cell phone and possible health issues. It could be years before that is proven...like the DES drug that mothers took between 1947 and 1973 to prevent miscarriages, studies showed that the female babies had issues due to that drug and there was (maybe still is) a large class action law suit with those female babies (now adults) suing the pharmacutical company for damages. So I was just wondering. Also has there ever been a time when an emergency came up when the cell phone was needed or has it thankfully just been a touch base device?

unforgettablesj

Asked by unforgettablesj at 12:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are both in high school and are very involved in various activities. My husband is military, and has a very intense deployment schedule at this duty station, so it's just me getting everyone where they need to be. This is why they have the -phones. They aren't allowed to text, they don't have phones with cameras, and they aren't allowed to spend all their time talking to their friends on their cell phones. If they're talking to friends, they can use the home phone. If we're not home, they don't need to be talking to friends, they need to be doing whatever we're out doing.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• BUT - yes, it has helped us - soccer practice was canceled and we didn't get a call. I'm stuck in traffic, and a friend will be picking them up. There was problems with their Scout activity, now they're back in cell range and on their way home - this was after they were a few hours late and the other mother and I were getting very worried. Our sons had gone up to a camp to do an OA ceremony for them and what with one thing and another they were 3 hours late getting home - driving home down a mountain then back to our town, at night and in the rain. The cell phones were a HUGE plus then.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Oh, one other thing we have them for - thankfully this hasn't been needed, but it's our plan -

If either kid is ever out and in a situation (at a party, or whatever), and they are uncomfortable about something going on - drugs, drinking, sex, whatever - they can simply go to the bathroom. While they're in the bathroom, they can call us and ask us to come get them. Then, after a few minutes, we'll call them back (while we're on the way), to tell them "something came up, you have to come home now, we're on our way to get you."

It would be best if they weren't in that situation, better if they could say something to their friends that it's not a good idea to do ____, but if either of those things aren't the case, this is their "safe out" of a bad situation, while still "saving face" so to speak.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• What she said. I also like that idea of calling them back so the kid doesn't look bad. I'm using that one. Thank you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• They aren't allowed to text, they don't have phones with cameras, and they aren't allowed to spend all their time talking to their friends on their cell phones. If they're talking to friends, they can use the home phone. If we're not home, they don't need to be talking to friends, they need to be doing whatever we're out doing.

Sailorwifemom
    I really like your answers. It sounds like you are raising very responsible kids too. You put it very well and I can see the need a little better now. Thank you!
    unforgettablesj

Answer by unforgettablesj at 10:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009