what are some fun things you do with your kids?

Sometimes I feel like I bore my kid out of his damn mind. For example today I asked him if he was bored and he said... Um yeah.. LOL
We color and stuff like that but do you have any cool maybe craft ideas or anything really that might be semi educational and will keep his intrest? Thanks

ReadyToRage

Asked by ReadyToRage at 12:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son loves to make things using Foamies, play doh is always fun, you can even look online, get a recipe and make your own. He loves to help me bake, or go to the librbary. Go to your local craft store together and pick out a few fun things. There is soooo much to do! Look into getting or borrowing a children's craft book.

teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Let him lead and decide what to do - if he's interested in something, share his interest and make it fun. So first step is to ask him what he's interested in - then jump on the bandwagon from there. My son went through a phase of loving knights - so he borrowed a knight costume from a friend, we read books about knights, had sword fights...you get the idea. Same with being a fireman...a cook, a musician, a dancer...but I always let him lead the imagination part , while I read the books or find the movies/videos for him to learn from. So as long as he's interested in something, he'll learn about it if you give him the opportunities to experience as much as possible.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I like to go to Jump Zone or the Wonder Place to have a play date with my son. My son has cerebral palsy that affects his walking so these places give him an opportunity for him to be a regular kid with out worrying about hard surfaces when he loses his balance and usually have kids in his age group. I have just as much fun as he does plus a good work out for myself in helping me to lose weight.
    balance1124

Answer by balance1124 at 5:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We make things out of boxes, his grandma sends packages all the time. Cars, rocket ships, ect..
    We play this weird blanket game where he hides under it and I am a shark trying to get in and eat him up. We play indoor soccer with two empty laundry baskets and a ball. Also indoor volleyball with a balloon. We bake cookies, cook together, paint, make interesting drinks and drink them...the list is endless.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Wow these are some really great ideas. I need more like this on my blog. I agree with PJsMommy605, let your child take the lead. You can either ask or just watch him when he's playing and kinda pick up on the clues of what he likes and dislikes. If you're feeling really ambitious, get down on the foor with him and play with his favorite toys the way he does. My kid gets a kick out of that. We make a race track and mimic his favorite video game.
    majesticchild

Answer by majesticchild at 9:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Have you done the cornstarch in water thing?
    runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 10:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter and I are the kind of people that go stir crazy if we don't get out of the house once a day, so a lot of our activities are outdoors or going somewhere. I can take her bowling for an hour for $4, the library is free, roller skating we haven't done for safety reasons since I've been pregnant, but that's only about $6 for us to go for an hour, the park is free...walking and playing in the warmer months, and they have a huge hill for sledding in the winter, I'm all the time trying to find seasonal events for her to do...hay rides, special activities they do for different holidays at the zoo, checking out Christmas lights...a lot of those are free or low cost too. Plus, most of what I mentioned requires physical activity, which kids need big time.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Check out your local mall. Usually they have some type of kids zone there. Our mall has giant money looking play deals for kids to climb on. I take them there. Maybe then you can make a deal and let him play for an hour and he will go shopping with you for a half an hour. Also, check out burger king. I take my three boys there to run off some energy and then we sit down and they have some mac and cheese from there. Crafts are always a plus. There is always a holiday around the corner to make crafts for. I also take my kids to the park in the summer. We always grab a happy meal and head for a picnic and then some major playing time on the jungle gym. Good luck.
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Take him with you everywhere. Talk to everyone and include him in the conversations. Count things. Go to the Saturday market, Farmers market. Get a list of parks and hiking trails and make it a personal goal to try every park. (Watching out for bad areas of town of course!) Look into Geo scavenger hunts. I have heard those are FUN. Water parks, homemade playdough, gardening, cooking, painting. All those things are not only fun they help develop the child. Good luck! There is a book called The Out of Sync Child has FUN. Even if your child does not have sensory issues there is a ton of ideas in there!
    OH and shaving cream on the table! OH So fun! Cleans and freshens the house!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My 4 year old twins enjoy arts and crafts, puzzles, having me read to them. Our favorite thing to do is go for walks. We usually take a 15 minute walk to he park, I bring lunch and we have a picnic.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009