Is it wrong that I can't stand my friend's daughter?

Don't get me wrong, I love my best friend and her children, but her 5 year old daughter drives me insane by constantly whinning, tugging on my clothes, going through my purse, squeezing my 2 year old son until he cries, etc. There is no disipline by her mom and I don't feel I have the right to disipline her so I find myself avoiding my friend, avoiding their b-day parties, etc. We been friends for 15 years and I'd be lost without her but her daughter freaks me out. Anyone have advice or been in a similar situation? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Yeah if you've told her it bothers you and she still wont do anything, You can dump her. It's not just playing when she is continuously hurting your child. If being around her is causing so much turmoil and stress, what are you even getting out of the relationship anymore? If you want to end the friendship, then do it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• When it comes to hurting your child and riffiling through your personal belongings you do get the right to say something!!!! If she is going to be a LAZY parent fine but you dont need to become one yourself and make your child and yourself the victim of her unruly children. Take a stand and let her child know it is not ok to go through your things and it is Not ok to hurt your child!
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 1:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Tell your friend That this stuff is making you angry. I don't know your friend and I'm not trying to bash her, but she may not understand that it's not okay to let her child act this way. She may not get that you don't like it if you haven't said anything before.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• im sorry hon, i would be annoyed too!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• From poster: I forgot to point out that I do NOT let her daughter anywhere near my son anymore and I have asked my friend if she can try to get a little bit more control of her daughter when we are there. Her answer is always "She's just playing" or "Oh that's what kids do". I guess I'm just hoping that some of you will reassure me that it's OK to dump my friend.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't dump her, but I'd say no more get-togethers with the kiddies! Go out to dinner just the two of you or something, but stay away from her kid!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My nephew is just like that, but he's 12! I can not stand that kid!!!! When my daughter was a tiny baby he would stay in her face. He has these huge big front teeth and when he talks he spits! It was so gross, and of course him mom didnt say anything but like, Andy, the baby don't like you getting in her face!!!! Made me so mad, so finally I started making a joke about it, I would Andy, leave her alone, would like for her to be all up in your face? and also when his mama wasn't around I would tell him he better back off some, and that I wasn't going to let him hold her! kids can be so goofy!
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 1:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• It's okay to dump the friend. She obviously has little respect for your wishes since she refuses to control her child in your house.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You can do what you want to, but you have no right to let anyone hurt your son, not even your best friend's child!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• From Poster....again..
    Thanks for all of the answers. And I need to clarify that the little daughter is NOT hurting my son....she tries to "hold" him or "hug" him or "corral" him and he doesn't want anything to do with her. It was never a "harm" issue but instead more of an annoyance. And I do not spend time with my friend at all anymore because I don't want him to be unecessarily upset. Hope that clears up that issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2009