Allowance or bribe?

Why do i need to pay my kids to help me clean our house?

fairybrokenwing

Asked by fairybrokenwing at 2:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think its a great reward to show them that to earn something they need to work for it. You can also treat them to lunch or a movie. Great job
    momiangeleyes

Answer by momiangeleyes at 2:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• you dont need to. My parents never gave us allowance. cleaning up now teaches them to be responsible. But allowance could also be a good thing. It will teach them at a young age how to manage money. If theres a toy they have been wanting, give them some money for each chore and tell them to save up and buy what they really want. it doesnt have to be big. I personally would pay by chore done at the end of each week instead of a set price each week.
    CassieLee85

Answer by CassieLee85 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• These days, with the depression we're heading into... It's a great idea to teach them how to manage money. They learn that working hard can bring good things and neglecting responsibilty brings a big fat nothing.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 5:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My son does his chores just fine without an allowance. My daughter is a bit young to understand chores but she does help with things. I never had an allowance and don't really see a reason behind it. If you really want to pay your kids then give them a job outside of their chores to earn money.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I think that there are things that you do because you live in the home and you need to contribute and then I think there are things that you can do to earn money...So I set out a chore list of "Have to do" (wash the table, clean your room..) and another list with things that you can do to earn money (folding clothes, taking out the trash..)..Now my son is only 6...so the two lists are pretty basic..but he understands that I only buy what he needs and not what he wants (except holidays and birthday)..and if wants something else he needs to earn it..and so far so good..I will keep you posted if things change when he gets older and not so easily led..
    OICU812

Answer by OICU812 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Rewards are always a nice way to go, but not everytime. Kids need to know that they have to help out, even if there is no reward. My son is only 3 right now, and gets little rewards every once and a while when he helps out. I don't reward him with items every time, however. I don't want him to get in the habbit of helping out, only for the reward.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 11:26 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I taught my sons that chores are part of their responsibility to the family. We all have jobs to do. I think allowance causes more problems than it solves. As my boys entered high school they were given their lunch money for the week all at once. If they spent it on something else..whatever. But, they were not allowed to walk in the house after school and empty the fridge or pantry either.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• my son is only 6.... but I reward him with special things when he cleans his room or helps me out. We go play at the park, go swimming, just extra stuff like that. Does that help...? have a grea night
    fidies

Answer by fidies at 2:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• i don't "pay" my kids to help clean our house. If they want to be able to go and do things or have friends over or any priveledge, they have to help with the chores around the house - they each have to do 2 chores per day. if any chore is left undone they have that chore plus 4 others to complete the next day plus they have no priveledges until their chores are caught up. it is working for us anyway,.
    aliciatakescare

Answer by aliciatakescare at 3:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2008