HOW DO I?

alright so my best friend who is a guy and his girlfriend recently had a baby.. they were doing good and well then they messed it up and then broke up.. now their talking again and what not but she called me at 3 in the morn last night.. because she said she feels no attachment to the baby. that she doesnt even feel like holding the baby.. and i've never gone through that so i really have no idea what to tell her... so what should i tell her? is their any good advice on this? because if she's coming to me then she wants help.. so help out a momma here!! :D

Thank you in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• get her dh involved because post partum is serious.No one wants to hurt their child but some women have-help her by getting her help.Good luck.you're a good friend.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Sounds like she might have Post Partum Depression. She needs to go see her Dr and get some help!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• yeah thats what i think i told her that, but she's scared that they'll take the baby she's only 19.. so i really want to talk to her and let her know its ok to feel this way.. is it isnt it??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• they will not take her baby for going to a doc for help.They will ofcourse take the baby if she neglects him/her or hurts herself or baby...I'll pray for her,it's hard.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• lots of women suffer from ppd, its becoming fairly normal. they wont take her baby, they'll probably give her some meds for awhile. being 19 has nothing to do with the kind of mother she will be.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• she's not neglecting the baby she just doesnt feel attachment to the baby.. i feel so bad she was in tears when she called me last night its like.. how do i comfort her? uhhg.. i dont know..

i made an appt for the doc for monday for her.. i really want her to feel that attachment to the baby..

i dont know i'm really worried!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• assuming she does have ppd there isn't really anything you can say that will make things better.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• so basically she has to go to the doctor and they will give her meds for it.. or something to make it right.. i want her to have that attachment to her baby... she was telling me how her mother felt the same way she did with her first born and she gave him up!

bearsjen... you said her DH involved... but how? what can he do??

chandra... i wasnt saying that her being 19 had anything to do with the type of mother she will be, i was just stating that she is 19...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster....there isnt anything you can say that will make her feel better. Just continue to be there for her, give her the shoulder to cry on, maybe even go help out with the baby! But until she sees the Dr on Monday (and will most likely be put on meds) theres not much more you can do but to just be there. Good Luck!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 2:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• you know whats the weird thing.. i've known my best friend for over 10 yrs now.. and he's been with this girl for about 2 yrs and i havent met her i live about 2 hrs away from them.. and yet i'm the one their calling.. that makes me feel good. but it makes me cry when i cant help!!

i'm hormonal myself!! so yeah...

so basically be their.. try to help her the best i can.. and go down and help with the baby.. got it

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2009