I'm getting ready to move to Chicago area. I've never lived in cold weather (born and raised in FL, spent 3 years in Hawaii and the last year in San Diego). I need some advice on what type of clothes I'm going to need to get since my due date is February. I also need to know what to get my son who will be two in January. I would really appriciate any help! I know it's a little early, but I'm serious when I say my winter clothes probably pass as early fall clothes in Chicago. Thanks!

Pregowithsecond

Asked by Pregowithsecond at 2:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Shopping

• I lived in Chicago for 7 years and it seemed to be cold all the time. snow suit with boots. Car seat cover for the newborn. hats, gloves, long johns, ear muffs were my all time favorite. sweat pant outfits is what my moms always put on my younger brothers. for night footed pjs because they are the warmest. it is going to be a HUGE change for you because once it snows it will seem like it will never stop. You will get at least 2 feet of snow or more before Christmas will hit. But I think it is beautiful out there and a very busy life style.
    Be prepared for the COLD!
    mommy-in-pink

Answer by mommy-in-pink at 2:21 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Hey there, I have lived in chicago all my life and I mean not to scare you when I say GET SOME HEAVY CLOTHES! LOL. Heavy jeans, sweat pants sweat shirts, gloves, ear muffs, scarves, heavy coats. It gets cold in chicago during the winter time and I do mean COLD. Especially if you have lived in warm weather all your life like hawaii (how i would love to live there in winter time) lol. Stock up on thick socks and boots with lots of tread on the bottom since it does get icy. If you have any other questions feel free to message me anytime. -Ivelise
    dimpledotz

Answer by dimpledotz at 2:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Born and raised in Chicago. The temp's range from 100 in August to -30 to -60 below zero in the winter months. All 4 season's are the cloths you will need. A Parka, gloves hat and thermal undies in the winter and waterproof boots. fall is a light windbreaker tpye jacket and you alsready know spring and summer heat from Florida.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Many, Many, Layers!!!! Dressing in Layers keeps you warmer!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Layers! If you're not used to really heavy clothes, you'll get uncomfortable fast. I live in the desert where it was around 70 degrees last x mas BUT once I went to new york for x mas and the most effective way to stay warm is keep the butt warm! seriously, those long jackets aren't just fashion statements, and hats to keep the noggin warm :)
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 5:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I've never lived in Chicago, but I am from the Mid-West. You'll need to get heavy coats, hats, gloves, etc for the winter. But for the transition between fall to winter and winter to spring, you'll need light jackets. Sweat shirts are good to keep on hand too. Don't forget the scarves to keep your face warm. To keep your little one from losing his gloves in the closet, you can hang a shoe organizer on the closet door and use it to store your hats, gloves, and scarves.
    nettie04

Answer by nettie04 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I moved from California to Wisconsin. It's COLD there! I lived there for 3 years and your going to need all the heavy clothes possible. I had both my kids there. My son was born in December. I didn't leave the house with him for awhile because Jan & Feb are the coldest months. Bundle up!!! Long or Thick Lining Coats, hats, gloves, scarfs, and boots. Good Luck!!!
    OCKikaPaprika

Answer by OCKikaPaprika at 11:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2008