do you ever really..

okay so my son who is two now.. was born with a cyst in his lung.. he had surgery when he was five months..

and i dont know as of lately ive been thinking about it alot.. i still cry.. even though he's fine....

i was wondering has anyone been throuhg something like this... and if so do you ever get over it? the fact that he's fine now.. and it was just something you needed to get over?

i'm a bit confused in my head right now..

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 2:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I do not think you ever really get over traumatic things like that. My son when he was 2 went from a normal temp to 104 in a matter of minutes which caused him to go into shock and quit breathing. I can still remember every detail like it was yesterday. Next month will be 9 years since that happened.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• OH WOW. its just its so hard for me. because specially in the winter we are in the er at least 4-6 times before winter really ends.. he was amonth old when he had his first iv put it and i couldnt even stay in the room.. uhhg lately i'vebee tthinkg and it replays in my head over and over and over and i dont know why!

i think i need help!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• When I was 2 I sufferd 3rd degree burns on my chest froma pot of tes dropping on me during a Japanese Tea Ceremony....to this day my mom will move my hair to cover the scar if I am wearing a lower cut shirt (she doesn't even notice she does it) and when the pictures from my stay in the hospital during this time, appear she grows very upset....this happened over 25 years ago and she is still trying to get away from it!
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 3:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Heck hon..when somthing really scares you...you dont really ever get over it...more so when it happens to your kids...

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My youngest was born early (36 weeker). At 5 weeks (1 week adjusted) he was put in the PICU with RSV for a week. He squeaked by without needing a ventilator. (they got the drugs out to do it three times...he barely squeaked by)

He is now 2 and has been diagnosed with asthma. Every time he gets a cold, I feel like I lay awake all night listening to his monitor...turned up all the way...to make sure he's not wheezing and to make sure he's still breathing.

The other two get colds, I put them to bed, have the monitor on but only wake up if they cough or sneeze.

I've been told by nurses and doctors alike...it's normal and understandable that I'm a "nervous nelly" when it comes to the youngest....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• when i was pregnant they thought there was something wrong with my son's heart and liver. i went around for a few weeks agonizing over it. a few weeks later, i found out that everything was fine and it was a false alarm. but that didn't stop me from thinking about what could have happened. he's 9mos now and i still think about it from time to time. the thought of something bad happening to our children is not something thats easy to get over, but if you're really still feeling anxious about it, maybe its time to talk someone, like a professional? i don't know how badly this is affecting your every day life, so i can't really say....i'm glad he's ok, though.
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Was he in danger of dying? I only ask because when someone you love is in a life threatening situation and you were there to whitness that it is often considered a personal trauma or crisis. If you can't stop thinking about it, relive it in your mind over and over again, and are just as hurt now as you were then....Sweetie you may want to see a professional. I'm not saying this as fact, but it sounds like you may be experiencing some signs and symptoms of post tramatic stress disorder. Look it up on the internet and see if any of the other signs sound like you. You do not need to be a soldier to have PTSD. Anyone who has experienced a type of trauma or crisis can have PTSD. Call your doctor and discuss what you are experiencing. He or she may be able to best help you from there if you can give a name to what it is your going through.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• no he wasnt in danger of dying put they found the cyst when i was preg. and they told me to have an abortion when i was 6months because the baby was sick.. and it hurt to hear those things.. i dont know i'm just being emo!

thanks everyone!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2009