How do I calm an upset tummy?

My son is 2 years old and has woken up twice throwing up during the night and I ended up putting him in the tub for a warm bath, where he was so tired he almost fell asleep so I took him out and put him in bed..He threw up shortly after ALOT and the throw up seems sour so I'm guessing that it might be a sour tummy..? He has no fever or no other syntoms and he rarely ever gets sick..This is the first he's been like this so I just need some advice on how to make him feel better? How to make the throwing up go away and how long a sour tummy may last for? He is now laying on the couch watching Treehouse...I'm hoping he gets some sleep as he is soo very tired! I also need to know that he'll be okay..? I'm pretty worried right now..This hasn't happened before..

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 8:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to give him the BRAT diet, bananas, rice, apple sauce and tea. Flat ginger ale will help too.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2011

• I was going to say the same thing robinkane did...BRAT diet...although I've always heard the T was for toast! LOL

At this point, main thing is to keep him hydrated. I've had a few calls into DD's pediatrician about vomit and/or diarrhea and he always says BRAT diet...pointing out that it's not good to try to stop either unless it goes on for more than a couple of days because both vomit and diarrhea are the body's ways of getting rid of something that shouldn't be there.

Good luck...and hope he feels better soon!!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2011

• Don't give him anything until he's stopped vomiting for a while. He'll end up losing more fluid than he takes in. Ginger tea, ginger ale, Gatorade; things along those lines. Don't introduce food again until he can keep all that down and then only tiny bits at first.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 8:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2011

• The BRAT diet is NOT for vomiting, it is for diarrhea. For vomiting, you want to keep a child hydrated without putting too much into them. After they vomit, wait an hour before giving anything. Give 1 teaspoon of liquid and wait 15 minutes, if it stays down give another teaspoon, then go to every 5 minutes as long as the child keeps it down. Once the child throws up again, start over with waiting an hour. No food unless the child goes a couple of hours keeping liquid down, and then only 1-2 saltines or half a piece of toast. Your child will be fine as long as he stays hydrated. Most people give the illness 24 hours before worrying. If he gets lethargic or spikes a high (104+) fever, get to the doctor/er/urgent care. He could have eaten something that didn't agree with him, he could have a little bug. Not a big deal, it's just your first time ;). I have 4 kids and always follow these rules and things are fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2011

• I agree with not giving him any solids until the vomiting stops. And also, keeping him hydrated is key. I would stick with ginger or peppermint tea. Gatorade will work, but also has a lot of sugar. Try Powerade Zero, has less sugar.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2011

• Gripe water. You can get it over the counter from CVS or target in baby section or where children medicine are. It's mainly fennel seeds water, suppose to be really good for babies/kids. No side effects at all, competely safe
    Or you can make your own at home. Add 1 tbsp of fennel seeds and 1 tsp sugar or honey in 1 cup of water. Strain, cool and give 1 tsp to your baby. Maximum twice a day
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2011