• In the Spotlight:

Do you love an adoptee enough to....

support adoptee rights? Please join us in Philadelphia, PA July 21st, 2009.

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 4:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Adoption

• AdopteeMe, thanks so much for posting this!

This issue is not so much about reunion, it's about being treated the same as every other American. There are adoptees in open access states who never want to search, just like there are adoptees in sealed records states who have successful searches.

I know my identity, but I want all states to treat their citizens equally. If one person can go to Vital Records, pay $$10 or 12 and get their birth certificate, then all people should be able to do that. Adoptees shouldn't be the only Americans forced to petition courts, submit to insulting court-mandated counseling sessions, or give any reason or justification why they should want to have their own Certificate of Live birth.

It's my birth certificate. I should be able to have a copy of it if I ask. Just like anyone else.
    ulb1963

Answer by ulb1963 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We propose a one day DEMONSTRATION FOR ADOPTEE RIGHTS at the National Conference of State Legislature’s Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA July 21st, 2009.

The National Conference of State Legislatures is the largest group of its kind, its the national organization of STATE LAWMAKERS, the people who DECIDE whether you may access your records… OR NOT.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 4:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• We propose a demonstration of adoptees representing all fifty states, a one-day
    rally that will be an opportunity for adoptees to demonstrate their commitment
    to adoptee rights and to meet their state delegation.

WON’T YOU JOIN US? WE NEED EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTS THE RIGHTS
    OF ADOPTEES TO ACCESS THEIR RECORDS OF BIRTH TO COME AND SHOW THAT SUPPORT. Adult adoptees, first families, adoptive families, friends and supporters… EVERYONE. To sign up for ARD 2009 Philadelphia, please visit the following site:

http://AdopteeRightsPhilly.blogspot.com

http://www.AdopteeRights.net

adopteeme

• If your BP wanted to be found...they wouldn't seal the records. They gave you life, give them privacy....no I do not support this cause.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 4:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The records are held by (state) governments......Adoption records and original birth certificates have not always been sealed. Most states sealed their records in the 1940s and 1950s, some states did not do so until much later, Pennsylvania sealed original birth certificates in 1984 and Alabama in 1991; by 1998 only Kansas and Alaska still allowed unconditional adoptee access.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• These laws are a relic of the culture of shame that stigmatized infertility, out-of-wedlock birth and adoption. Even those adoptees now being raised in open adoptions, in which there is some contact between birth and adoptive families, are not allowed access to their original birth records when they reach adulthood.
    adopteeme

• its not about birthparent confidentiality....its about preventing the disclosure of controversial past practices such as baby-selling, coercion and fraud which are now hidden by state-sanctioned secrecy
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The original birth certificate is sealed when the adoption is finalized in court, not when the birth mother signs relinquishment papers. A child relinquished but never adopted has an unsealed birth certificate. If protection of the birth mother were intended, the original birth certificate would be sealed upon termination of her legal relationship to the child, not at the beginning of the legal relationship of the adoptive family
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Nearly all states have provisions for opening adoption or birth records for good cause without the consent or even notification of the birth parent. Birth mothers signed irrevocable relinquishment forms, but there have been no contracts produced promising that an adoptee's original birth record would remain sealed.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I am an adoptive mom and I would like to support this cause. I cannot make it to PA, however if there is a petition or something to sign I would more then gladly sign it. I do believe that an adoptee has every right to know their birth parents.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2009