Hmmm i dont agree with her

My SIL has let my nephew, date* little girl friends here and there and he will be 13 soon,

i just dont agree with it at this age...

and i told her ...he will find hisself in trouble if he slips up one bit, little kisses happen around this age,
she acted like they dont happen, that her son wont do that lol but they all do eventually ya know??
and i just dont know what else to tell her,
would you let your kids hang out with girlfriends, and talk on the phone for ever, talkin on the phone to me is kind of innocent but he took it to the nexxt level she has caught him talking dirty
she beleives its harmless but letting them hangout . i think there is a certian limit,
its not my kid ..still i dont agree.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You said it - your nephew is not your child. You recognize that so end of story. Your duty as an aunt has been completed. You voiced your concerns and now that is done. Really that is all you can do. You may be right that he is heading down a slippery slope or she may be right that it is harmless. But in the end she is the parent that has to make the decisions for him. So when you see or hear something concerning your nephew do your duty by him and your sister. Gently and respectfully approach her and tell her that you were having some concerns and just wanted to share your thoughts. Then let it go. And sometimes it is better to really not say anything. She could think you are implying she is a bad parent. Pick and choose the times to speak up with a concern and let the rest be. As much as you love him and her - its is between them.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:15 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• hes 13 whats she gonna do of course hes gonna be dating at this age and talking dirty hes a young teenager
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 5:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I agree that 13 is quite young for her to completely agree with this, I think that she should at least put very strict restrictions on their relationship. Kids grow up too fast these days, so she should just monitor what's going on very carefully.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 6:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Uhm yeah I let my sons have girfriends. There isnt alot you can do at that age. If he has a girlfriend they are going to talk on the phone anyway and hang out. You have the choice of saying ok thats fine and having your child be open and honest with you, or saying no and teaching them to lie and do things around your back. I choose the first. It hasnt been a problem so far.

Answer by gemgem at 8:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• they're going to find a way to "go out" at that age. whether its going over to a friends house in a group and pairing off or individual dates, its gonna happen. imo, the best thing for her to do would be to talk to him about sex because if hes talking dirty to her, he's probably in touch with sexual feelings, lol.
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My son had his first girlfriend when he was 12, I didn't see a problem with it, they just hung out with each other and kissed a little but there was always a parent around.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2009