Right so a bird just flew into the window..

It managed to kill itself and my girls, who are 7, are having their first sleepover. They and their friends have decided that they want to have a funeral for the bird. Anyone elses children demand to have funerals for any dead animal, even insects! And how do you stop them being in that mindset? I mean in the last few weeks we've buried a hamster and numerous insects.. And they're whole family events! Okay I know that I can just leave them to it. But just out of interest anyone else have this?

HNK11

Asked by HNK11 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I remember when I was about 8-9 my friends and I would have funerals for birds -- my gosh, even an ant. We buried an ant in a case for glasses. We'd hum the song, have the ceremony, and then even built the grave marker.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• your not alone, LOL! We have had sooo many of them because dd is super sensitive to death (why we have no idea) but to get her out of the phase we taught her about the food chain and then taught her a prayer that she says whenever she sees a dead animal. At first it took us a long time to get her to memorize it but in the end she did and now whenever she sees a dead animal she says this prayer... O God, you are infinite, unbounded Love, and will not allow the love which exists between your creatures to perish: We pray for those animals who have died. Comfort all those who mourn, especially those who have lost a beloved pet. Amen. Good Luck and hope this help!
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• OUR BACK YARD HAS A RABBIT 3 DOGS A CAT, HAMSTER & 2 BIRDS PLUS A WORM LOL
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 9:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Our backyard has two kittens (died at birth), birds, gerbils and who knows what else. My kids are the same way. I thank God when something dies and they arent home because I can just toss it out (like spiders, bugs etc lol). I think it is normal.

Answer by gemgem at 9:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• DON'T LET THEM BURY A BIRD. you know how many diseases those things have. that is one animal i was always taught to stay far away from. and as a i nurse i wouldn't let them touch it either.

one myth of a bird flying into a window and dying is someone close to you will die now. but thats only if your superstitious i guess.

please don't them touch that bird. that is disgusting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Pick it up with a shovel- they shouldn't touch it. We had some build a nest on a window ledge and they had lice. I don't see anything wrong with burying various animals. It helps them deal with the idea of death, which is something they need to come to grips with. And it helps with respect for other beings.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Don't worry I'm not stupid enough to touch the bird I've already shoveled it into a trash bag. and it is ready to be buried hygenically.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My sister buried anything dead for years. Garden snakes she found that had been run over by a car, our guinea pig, some dead mice she found by the brook . . . she did this for years, up into her teens. I think it is a healthy way for children to deal with death.

My little fish died this summer, so I buried him in the backyard. It was a way for me to deal with death, and I couldn't just flush him down the toilet.

As long as the kids know not to touch with their bare hands, I think it is wonderful for them to want a proper burial--even for a grasshopper lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My neice forgot she left her 2 hermit crabs in the car one hot summer day...and they both died of "heat stroke". We placed them in jewelry boxes and buried them in front of the house with a little ceremony. I think having a "funeral" for dead animals is harmless. It helps understand and cope with death in a way.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009