What is the ideal age to take a child to the dentist for the first time?

My son is two and i think he is probably destined to have bad teeth.. I had bad cavities when I was younger and when my baby teeth fell out I tried tot ake better care of them I brsu my teeth 2 or 3 times a day and still have caviteis and my sons father also has bad teeth, so I want to stop any problems before they start.

Nicholeb211

Asked by Nicholeb211 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Health

• If you think he won't bite the dentist, then you should take him now. Anywhere between 18months-3 years is the average first dentist visit. It all depends on the maturity of the child. I think SS was about 2 1/2 when he first went.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Our preschool took all the kids to the dentist if the parents signed off it was ok when they were 3. They said that was the advised age.

Answer by gemgem at 9:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I took my 12yr old and my 9yr old when they turned 1. Texas has a law where little kids needed to be seen by 1. There water isn't always the best. The pediactric dentist says that you can start taking them to the dentist as soon as they have teeth. I am about to take my 13 month old to the dentist next month. He has two teeth. The dentist says come on in and take a look at them. Since my others are going for there checkup he made a little room for the baby. So it doesn't hurt to take them early. If you find a pediatric dentist they will not do anything that makes the kids unconfortable. My 9 yr old use to have asthma attacks when we would drive up to the dentist. I changed dentists. One who only see's kids and she was wonderful. She would let me sit in the chair and hold him. It took us 3 visits before he had xrays but we got it done and he is not scared of the dentist. Hope I helped a little.
    luchousdiva

Answer by luchousdiva at 10:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thats strange...when I lived in TX (I JUST moved from there in Aug.) my dentist said that kids don't need to be seen until the age of 5. Maybe it is just in your area??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2009