What is the ideal age to take a child to the dentist for the first time?

My son is 2 and is pprobably destined to have bad teeth. I had bad teeth as a child and now as an adult I try to take better care of them but I still have cavities and my sons father also has bad teeth, and so does his GM on his fathers side and so does my brother and my biological father. I just want to stop any problems for him befopre they start.

Nicholeb211

Asked by Nicholeb211 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It depends on the individual pediatric dentist. Call them and see when they like to start seeing kids. Ours likes to see them as soon as they have teeth....(not that we went in that early..)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The twins had their first dentist consult around 18 months.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Our dentist sees kids at age 3 as long as there aren't any problems. He saw my son right after he turned 2 because he banged his mouth on something and killed the nerve in his tooth.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Our pediatric dentist doesn't make appointments until they are 3 for regular checkups. Of course they will see them sooner if there are problems. Most children under 3 aren't ready for sitting still and following instructions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My pediatric dentist starts at 18 month to 2 years. My children also inherited very bad teeth. We started going at 18 months in order to catch problems before they get too bad. 

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• 3 unless they are having problems
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Our dentist says that you should bring your infant with YOU, and that children should be seen as soon as they have teeth. They need to develop a bond with the dentist. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• All around 2 unless there are problems.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 12:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i took my daughter at 2..then 3..then 4..and will again at 5
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have been told that age two is the time you take your child to the dentist. I have been taking my boys since they were one.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2009