Ladies who have had PPD

After I had my last daughter, I think I had a huge reaction to the drop off in hormones but I don't consider it PPD because it only lasted 2 weeks and it wasn't overwhelming for me. What happened was I had nightmares a lot about something happening to my daughter, I would cry for no reason during the day...or I would react OVERLY strongly to something I had read or seen that day that had something to do with a child.

I'm 38+ weeks pregnant now and the nightmares have started again and, after not being emotional my entire pregnancy I cried for over 2 hours yesterday at the thought of one of my children dying before me.

If you have had PPD did it start early like that? I know it can be debilitating and horrible and I'm scared of having it. I would like to know some early warning signs or what you went through so I can at least prepare myself for the possibility.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Please PM me if you wish, I am PPD professional.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• No mine never started early. But since you may have had it with the last child just tell your dr now so that they can give you antidepressents to help you right away. It sounds like your are just nervous and scared of having the same thing happen again. That is normal. Just tell your doctor.

Answer by gemgem at 10:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I had PPD and it only happens AFTER having the baby. It can happen months later or even a year later. In my case it happened 2 months later. I do believe I had it will my other 2 children I was just uneducated about it and was to ashamed to seek help. I suggest you google PPD and learn more about it. Because it can happen to anyone.

I was on meds and I saw a Therapist and a Psychiatrist. I was on the borderline of PPS. I'm truly glad I got the help I did.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Most of all, DO NOT be ashamed of it. I had so many thoughts of hurting myself or the baby and it was all part of the PPD. Don't act on these thoughts, of course, but don't be ashamed of yourself. I always thought "I could just throw her out the window." and it was the PPD. It's actually harmful to not seek help, so don't let anyone make you feel like you failed in some way or that you weren't strong or anything like that...because seeking help when you need it is NOT weak, it IS strong, and it points you toward success. Failing to get help when you need it , that's what is failing...needing help in the first place does not make you a failure.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 12:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I felt depressed right before I had my son. It's normal to feel anxious and kind of sad that it's the last few days you'll be pregnant. But the happiness starts when you see the baby. I felt kind of funny when he was little. I had a nightmare when he was a month old that I went to his crib and he was gone. So you're in no way wierd for feeling this way. Just remember, if you feel so bad you don't want to take care of the baby, get help. It is treatable and there is no need to suffer.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2009