How to get a breastfed baby to eat from the bottle.

My 4 month old is only given a bottle once a week. He was okay before with it but in the past two weeks or so he is rejecting the bottle (I was working less since the holidays). Is there any tips that I can use to get him to drink more from the bottle. I am pumping so it is not formula. Last friday he ate a total of 4 oz. in an eight hour period.

Samy2184

Asked by Samy2184 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is going to take patience. Make sure that the nipples to the bottles you are using are not overly hard. The bottle will make a lot of difference! My sister in law tried to use Avent bottles, and her son fought her. When she went to the older style Playtex disposable bottles, with the original style nipple, he was more agreeable. Also, try to get someone else to feed him the bottle in the beginning. My daughter would not use a bottle for me, but would for others. She knew I had the good stuff, and she wasn't letting me get away with that! Be patient, do not let the baby feel your stress or it will take longer. Good luck!
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 10:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My son went on a bottle strike before also (right before I had to return to work!) And we just kept offering and he did take it again. have someone else give the bottle and leave the room... so he can't see or smell you and have them to keep trying.
    Good Luck!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i use avent bottles - which he loves, so much that he actually prefers me to feed him with the bottle than from me. less work i guess....i would say maybe a different nipple on the bottle? I would talk to his pediatrician soon, 4oz in 8hrs for a 4 month old is def not good...Good luck
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2009