How does obesity truly affect sperm count and fertility?

In both men and women...if the man is obese and if the woman is obese... which one being obese affects fertility? Does it only lower the chances if BOTH are obese, or just one of them?
My BIL is very obese and he and my DH's sister have been trying for a long time and it hasn't happened. I really think it's because he's so fat and refuses to even touch a vegetable besides mashed potatoes or corn. Besides that he never has the energy for sex and obviously can't be on top...
She's a skinny thing but what are the odds that she is the infertile one when he is that obese??

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 10:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Oh, ok. I just thought if he was obese it affected his sperm count and sperm movement, lol.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 11:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• *chuckles* I think infertility only affects the woman if she's the one who is obese. I could be wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• The only thing I can think of for him is that if he is SO obese that the rolls of fat are not allowing his testicles to have the "breathing" room they need. Too high of a temperature does cause a decrease in sperm count....why one of the first things a doctor will recommend is that the man switch to boxers if he's wearing briefs.

But until/unless they have some testing done....there's no way to really know.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Fat does affect fertility because extra fat cells can cause hormone imbalance in both men and women. In men, when they're overweight, they can have estrogen dominance.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If she is skinny, very skinny, then she'd more likely be the prob. Women who have a low % of body fat don't ovulate normally. What TiccledBlue said could be true though-about his testicles, makes medical sense!
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2009