Help..

I was going to breastfeed my baby, but it didn't go as planned.. I put her on a bottle the day after she was born.. And for the last 5-7 days my right breast is just engorged with milk.. My left one has already shrank back to size.. But my right one just won't shrink down.. And I don't have a breast pump to relieve it with simply because we don't have the money right now.. Any suggestions on what I should do? It hurts really bad some times..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Warm wash rag. Otherwise call your ob and tell him/her that it hurts and that you probably aren't going to breast feed anymore and they can give you a shot to make your milk from not coming in. Also they might even beable to hook you up with a hand pump from the hospital for free.
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Take a shower and let the hot water run on it. That makes the milk come out.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 11:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Try some frozen peas or corn. Wear a tight bra. You don't want to pump because that will increase your milk supply since your body will want to replenish the supply. The right breast doesn't always know what the left breast is doing, and may think it's susposed to keep up supply. I know it's painful, if you need to, get into a warm shower and your breast may express just enough on it's own to let out the pressure, it's what I used to do when I got really engorged and had weaned the little ones to a bottle.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Shower with hot water running over your breast, tight bra and no pumping that will make you produce more.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Ouch, I remember those days. Try a warm rag.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Reintroduce the breast :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Try not to pump or you will continue to produce more milk and the drying up process will take longer. I'd just wear a tight bra and try a hot compress if needed for pain. I'd keep an eye on it though, if you notice you're not feeling well, have a fever, or get a red rash on your right breast, go to the doctor, It could be mastitis. Good luck!
    courtney0105

Answer by courtney0105 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• when i chose not to BF and i got seriously engorged. i wore 2 bras, i tight cami, an ace bandage and then ice packs. also when i showered i would massage my breasts in a circle and it helped the milk flow out. after like 2 weeks i still had milk but it didnt hurt as bad.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Breastfeeding hardly ever goes "as planned" :) If you've still got milk coming in, please give breastfeeding one more try. At least then you'll know you've tried as hard as you could and won't look back later and regret it.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Oh, and if you run warm water on it, you're just going to make it hurt worse. If you are really done breastfeeding, cold compresses are what you need.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009