how to disaplaine my child

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It really depends on the age of your child. One thing I can tell you though is you must be consistent. If you make a rule you have to make sure you go by it always because if they see you discipline them for something they did one time and not the next it will confuse them.

My daughter will be 2 in September and I have started taking her to her room when she does something she isn't supposed to do. I don't leave her in there, I just take her and that alone is enough to get her to stop. Once she gets a year or so older, I will start leaving her in there for a few minutes. Now when my sons got to about 4 or 5 they started to realize that all their toys were in their room so it wasn't so bad, I started sending them to the corner. They are 8 and 10 now so they get grounded or restricted from doing anything fun. The length of time for any age above 3 would have to be determined on what they did to have to get disciplined.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 7:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Time Outs works the best.
    Never spank, cause all it does is teaches the child that hitting is ok. Then when the child hits you, you'll get mad and things will get worse. So spanking is never the answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Spanking does not teach that hitting is okay. Children that are not old enough to reason do not understand time out. Sometimes, a little sting on their bottom works wonders. I spank my son, and he does not hit, he does not throw violent tantrums, and he is very polite. He answers me yes ma'am and he knows I love him. He's 2 years old. I use my hand. Spanking is not wrong. Time outs are not wrong, Grounding and restrictions are not wrong. It all depends on what works best with your child as well as what the age of the child is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Toddlers are exploring where their boundaries lie.
    If you want your kids to listen as teenagers, you need to be consistent now with showing them the boundaries.
    Always give one warning and then immediate consequence if they continue. Use whatever works for your child.
    Any form of discipline can be considered abusive when you use it the wrong way. Abuse is when you use discipline for no rhyme or reason, just to be cruel or when you are disciplining for something your child has no comprehension of, or without warning or consistency.
    We spank our daughter because it is immediate and she understands that it means she crossed the line. We don't even do it hard enough to hurt. We stopped doing time-outs because it confused her. When we put her down for a nap, she thought it was because she was naughty.

I think it's equally important to have hugs, kisses afterward so your child knows that even though they crossed the line, you forgi
    cobola22

Answer by cobola22 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I'm sorry I don't fell the same on spanking I don't do it now because they are too old but when they were younger a swat on the hiney always got their attendtion. They always knew I was serious I never beat them or anything like it Now it just takes a look
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 3:27 AM on Jul. 18, 2008