Would you name your child something weird if you were famous?

Former Cosby star Lisa Bonet and her husband Jason Momoa welcomed their second baby, Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa<~~~

This is what made me think of this. I understand people want to have unique names for their children, but isn't there a line that just shouldn't be crossed?

My husband and I spent a lot of time thinking of our childs name. We wanted something uncommon, but not so uncommon that he would be teased. Know what I mean.

CorCorsmomma

Asked by CorCorsmomma at 11:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't necessarily name them something quite to THAT extent, but I think I would be a little more...daring with the names. For instance, some of the names I hear, I think...wow, that'd be hard to pull off here in small town Iowa, but if you're famous, no one will think it's that odd. Of course, I can't think of one off the top of my head right now, but hopefully it makes sense lol
    cass_pick

Answer by cass_pick at 11:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• No, I would not. Some of the names the famous people come up with are an obvious cry for attention. Don't they get enough attention already? They're rediculous.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have unique names but not abnormal one's for my kids. I would name them the same either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think Lisa Bonet is weird anyway,
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I sorta feel sorry for that child. Image learning to SPELL that? Nevermind pronouncing it.
    Our son has a "unique" uncommon name and out DD's is spelled a little unconventionally. But that name is really "out there". lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I read the meaning behind the name - I think it is beautiful. There is another family blessed with such a beautiful baby. Good for them. I don't feel sorry for the child. And more than likely she is not calling him by his entire name. I don't call my son all of his four given names. I use his middle name as his everyday name. Actually he has now shown a preference for being called by a shorter version of his first name. I love unusual names and feel most sorry for the Emmas and Emilys out there. Their parents were not so creative or original. No fun in that. A name is a gift bestowed upon a child by his or her parents. If a name has meaning and is special to that family then it is a beautiful thing.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'm not famous but I didnt name my daughter a common name either. I do think like the lady earlier in the post, I do feel sorry for the child when it comes to spelling his or her name but each parent has the right to name there child what they will.
    mom2aramis

Answer by mom2aramis at 12:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I don't think that is such an odd name. I think Jason Lee's son Pilot Inspektor or Penn Jillettes daughter Moxie Crimefighter will have it much worse than this kid.

I have no clue what I would do if I were a celeb but my children, unintentionally, ended up with pretty common names.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Regardless of whether you are famous or not, wealthy or not, I think your child should be allowed to become their own unique person. By giving your child an odd name or an odd spelling of a common/traditional name, parents DO, in fact, play a significant role in the success or failure of their child by how they are revered by society....like it or not....that's reality!

Now as for Lisa Bonet's child, that name sounds ethnic...not whacky (Like Dweezel or Moon Unit)...so while it may be "different" it's not that unusual...and there is likely a more common nickname he will go by.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• lisa bonet is weird...and i cant help but think she did this for the attention. b/c really...what has she done lately?
    but to each there own..she'll prolly just call him Nakoa & that sounds kinda cool . and ive seen some way stupider names under the disguise of "unique".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2009