Do you believe political stereotypes?

Do you believe that all or most Democrats are lazy, welfare, hippie, tree hugging Socialists? Do you believe that all or most Republicans are Bible thumping, war mongering, greedy, Facists?

Or do you think that they are just people with a different POV and ideas on how things should be?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 11:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well stereotypes do form for a reason, but all people are individuals.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• just people with different ideas....
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I use to believe all Republicans were Bible thumping, war mongering, greedy, fascist's.  I never thought Democrats were lazy, welfare, hippie, tree huggers.

Now that I've educated myself I do not believe the stereotypes are true of the whole population of either party but I can see many Republicans who have above mentioned traits as well as may Democrats who have the Democratic traits.  Bottom line, I think they're people with different POV's based on the general party beliefs and ideals which in many cases may make them appear to fit the stereotype.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• YIKES! I don't and I sure hope others don't believe those narrow-minded stereotypes~
    I'm a proud Conservative Republican... *ducks*
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 11:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Personally, I don't like the idea of one labeling oneself a Democrat or a Republican. I think that people should be willing to listen to the politician or political issue at hand and then make an educated decision from there. I know of many people, on either side, who will not be up to date on all of the issues but will click down on any person or issue that is of their own party. We should all be independent thinkers and that is why I choose to be independent b/c no matter how conservative or liberal you are there will eventually come a time when you don't agree with the party of your choice. I also don't believe in the stereotypes b/c I know many Republicans whom, if I didn't know any better, I would think that they were Democrats and visa versa.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• OP--

Of the Democratic stereotype you listed above, I actually do think MANY do fit it!!
    Anonymous

• I think there is at least some truth to all of them, some more than others. I think you are likely to find more people matching the description of Republicans voting for Republicans and vice versa with the description of Democrats. I don't think that either one is accurate about the majority of either group. There are Republicans who are "tree huggers" just as there are Democrats who are "Bible thumpers". The basic, traditional values of the Republicans party are smaller and less involved government with more state and individual rights/freedoms. I sincerly hope they return to that basic idea soon - a lot of what we've seen from the national Republican party in the last few years does not reflect those ideals and it's very sad. I think that is the key to turning around the decline of the Republican party so if the RNC can turn that around, it will bring new life to the Party and the country, which is what we sorely need.
    alexisw

Answer by alexisw at 12:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I am a 12 year veteran of the United States Navy and a Democrat and I certainly do not fit into ANY of those stereotypes. Nor does my husband, a Democrat, who is on his 3rd tour in Iraq. However, the Republicans we know..yeah you hit it spot on.

Oooh Socialist..what a scary word. scary scary scary. I sure am more scared of Socialism than I was when I was in Iraq in 2003. Scary..Socialism..BOOOOOO...
    Anonymous

• No, not most but of course some are.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• "However, the Republicans we know..yeah you hit it spot on."

And some Republicans could say the same about Democrats...

I consider myself Republican but i'm not even CLOSE to bible thumping, or greedy.. I give more than I should, honestly. I am for war, but i'm not hungry for it. I would love for our government to use war as a last resort kind of thing...
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2009