For my 7 year old boy: a tablet or kidle fire?

Don't know what to get him for christmas. I have to decide, any advice?
(he is a very smart and responsable. He had an dsi since he was 3,1/2 and is still in perfect condition)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow. Kids don't belong in front of screens. Try books or board games.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2011

• Up to you. Consumer Reports found the Barnes and Nobles Nook to be a better value than a Kindle though. Tablets do more than E-readers so it really depends on what you think he'd do with it. Perhaps you should try to see if he has a preference before shelling out the bucks too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2011

• I agree with FFA, You could start him his own little library for what you are going to spend on either of those.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2011

• While I agree that kids need less screen time and more book and imagination time... it is your child your choice. If I had to pick on of those items for me I would say neither and get an i-pan type android tablet. You can down load book to that PLUS so much more.
    Anonymous

• The Kindle Fire is worth the money. I have one and you can download movies, books, games, browse the web and read email. The only feature which is not great for kids is you can access your amazon account and buy stuff. So you may want to look at those features on Amazon. I love it.

DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2011

• my 6yo DS has a I-pad and he uses it as a reward and for trips.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2011

• My 7 y/o brother is getting an ipad!
    cuddlebugz

Answer by cuddlebugz at 10:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2011

• I personally prefer the Nook Tablet. I'm getting one myself for Christmas. Both my kids (ages 7 and 9) have a Nook simple touch. They love it and frankly, it's served their needs as an eReader at a lower price point.

Overall, however, the two brands are more or less a draw decided by personal preference. Look at what's available in e-book format for both brands and see which offers more titles that will appeal to your son. I opted for the Barnes and Noble route because my father and husband already had the Nook Color. My son got the Touch this summer for his birthday and my daughter got one for her birthday in Sept. Sticking to the brand within the family lets me better manage our shared titles and the accounts.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:36 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• To the naysayers - please you do what works for your house and don't bother judging those that do differently. The Tablet and Fire are eReaders first and tablets second. My son is terrified of flying and our family loves to travel. We balance the two ends of that spectrum by converting our getaways to road trips. Last summer we drive from the East Coast to Yellowstone. We're talking multiple days of 12+ hour driving. Having the eReader was a Godsend. When my son plowed through his stash of books we were able to easily secure more titles without having to hunt out a store. We did not have to fill our already over full car with piles of books to entertain him. he had 3 books in the Series of Unfortunate events loaded up on his Nook when we left home another 3 added to it from the road. He finished them all. It was awesome.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:40 AM on Dec. 8, 2011