How do I avoid pregnancy when my periods are irregular?

They are off a few days every month.
I have hypothyroidism which messes them up.
Sometimes they are normal but sometimes my cycle is 30 days or 23 days. I have an online ovulation tracker but it's hard to tell when i'm really ovulating because my days are off. Is there another way to know for sure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Use birthcontrol !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'm wanting to TRACK MY OVULATION. I want to know if there is another way to tell if I am ovulating.
    Birth control is very unhealthy and I get a lot of bad side effects from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Get yourself some condoms! Or just don't have sex!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Uggh some people are so god damn rude! That's why they respond in "anon"..

As for tracking your fertility, get the book "taking charge of your fertility" even with irregular periods you could still ovulate around the same time. Also, you can start checking your basil temp every day at the same time, etc, to see when you actually do ovulate.

I do suggest that while reading and learning about your fertility that you use some sort of BC. We hate condoms but we enjoy using the foam or the film (contraceptives). :) Hope this helps.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I didn't see anyone being rude and they had all been anonymous. It is good to see everyones response. Then we can all learn. I would suggest to look the info up on the web. Mine was almost always not regular. And my hormones run wild. The doctor told my mom that she could get any time of the month. I tried different things to see which I liked best, after I got married. My main concerns were for myself, husband, and if there was even a chance that I could be pregnant.
    lovewing

Answer by lovewing at 12:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have the same problem. Look for the book "How to Acheive or Avoid Pregnancy the Natural Way" It is very enlightening. I will look at my copy to see who the author is, but it will take a while. It is boxed up. If I don't get back to you, message me to remind me!
    Is your hypothyroidism controlled? Mine wasn't and nearly killed me. I had no idea something like that could kill. Please gain control of it and get daily exercise. Walking. Otherwise you won't break the cycle. Good luck!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I have always had irregular periods. I started tracking to avoid pregnancy...I now have a son. (sex one time the entire month, on the 8th day)

I used a condom the next time...another son.

If you really want to avoid gettng preggo then avoid sex.

Anonymous

• I'd rather take my chances getting pregnant then to quit having sex. Sex is a vital thing in a marriage and it can really ruin a marriage not to have sex.
    Anonymous

• I used the book suggested earlier "taking charge of your fertility. It's a natural way to monitor your fertile days during the month but does require some periods of abstinence. By the way, I don't think the comment about condoms and not having sex was meant to be rude but funny! It's nice to have humor injected in sometimes serious topics.

lookingahead

Answer by lookingahead at 1:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'd use BC every time I had sex, if I were you. The rhythm method won't be reliable for you if your cycles are all over the place. There are some great hormonal methods now you only have to deal with once a month or even less! If you don't want hormones, use the diaphragm, the sponge, condom or a spermicidal jelly.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2009