will my son ever learn how to feed himself or drink out of a sippy cup?

he's 12 months and doesnt seem like he want to feed himself...i offer finger foods for him constantly and offer his sippy cup all the time..ive even changed cups 3 times..i just bought a nuby cup and hope he likes it...although this morning, he did pick up his toast and bit all by himself but thats it....he wont do it anymore...its just a little frusturating

troyjrsmommy

Asked by troyjrsmommy at 11:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine was just starting around that age. I made sure to cut his food in small pieces and walk away (Not like rooms and rooms away, but I would have him in the dining room while I was in the kitchen (we have a really open floor plan) so I was close enough if I needed to get to him in a hurry if he would choke, but far enough away he didn't expect me to feed him.
    Also, the ONLY sippys I could get him to start with were the nubys...he liked the fact that the nipple on it was silicone like his bottle.
    Good luck! I know it's stressful! Try something small, like cheerios or fruit loops, and let him at it. He might cry and put up a fuss, but he's gotta learn some how!
    cass_pick

Answer by cass_pick at 11:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i was pretty persistant with my daugthers sippy. I started her at 9 months just to get her used to it but of course she didn't want anything to do with it. At 10 months, i switched it to a soft tip so she thought it was like a bottle. I gave it to her every other day until she'd take it and then completely switched her at 11 months. She switched to a hard tip at like 14 months and wouldn't take a soft one again.

i agree with cass, give him small stuff like cherrios and he'll eat when he's hungry. Show him how to put it in his mouth and eventually he'll understand. Good Luck!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 11:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• also he just cries when i dont feed it to him or offer the sippy cup to him...so its kind of hard
    troyjrsmommy

Answer by troyjrsmommy at 11:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Your kid is TWELVE MONTHS OLD!!! Of COURSE he will learn to feed himself someday!!! WOW! I'm sorry, but if THIS stresses you out....you're in for a bumpy ride!!! I'm gonna warn you...boys are generally A LOT harder to potty train than girls...MANY boys don't FULLY train (overnight) until after age 3!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• He doesnt have "hand eye coordination" down yet. This is a messy but you can take him out and put him right in the tub. Undress him and only have a diaper on. Put vanilla pudding, yogurt or apple sauce on his tray in piles. Sprinkle a few cheerios. Give him a spoon and let him go to town. He will make a huge mess but the jist of getting his hands to his mouth will be taught. Put some cereal in a bowl and spoon. Most will probably end up on the floor :). Give him time........Once he gets the hand eye thing down, drinking and eating will come. Boys can be alittle slower at picking things up then girls.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• ***baby spoon~~not just a spoon.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Are you offering bite sized pieces? (you said he "bit" his toast, which leads me to think it was a big piece)

When we first started finger foods at 6 months, we took their hands and showed them how to do it. Helped them get a piece in their fingers, then put it in their mouth. It didn't take long at all!

Also at 6 months we started sippy cups. At first, it was finding one they would take...us holding it. Then we started guiding their hands to hold it, once they had that, then they held it but we still helped tip it up (leaning the high chair back one knotch helped) Slowly, over the period of about a week, we slowly started not holding it as much...one finger tipping it up while they held it...slowly letting it drop until they caught on to hold it up! Once we found a sippy they took it was probably less than 2 weeks before they go it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'd set him in his high chair, give him his food and cup and get busy doing something in the kitchen. If he gestures for you to feed him go over put the food in his hand and tell him you're busy and you can't help him right now. Be really busy, talk to him, "Mommy really has to get this done, you eat, I can't help you right now". He understands you when you talk, maybe he'll try to feed himself. Give him 10 minutes and then help him. That way he has the chance to eat himself and he won't starve until he figures it out.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2009