Yogurt?

My son is 9 months old and I was wondering if it was too soon to give him yogurt. I know they say to wait till 1 year, but he's already trying to walk and stuff, and thats more advanced then my friend's son, who is a year and a month, and she gives him yogurt and whole milk. So just wondering if anyone knew?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't know, so I googled it. One site has this information and more. My DIL, when she did feed yogurt, used only the kind with sugar instead of artificial sweeteners rather than give the artificial stuff to the baby. Even better, use plain whole milk yogurt and mix a little of whatever you are already feeding the baby- mashed banana, applesauce, for example- no added sugar.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipYogurt.htm

"Most pediatricians recommend starting your infant on Yogurt around 7-8 months of age. Some pediatricians also recommend yogurt as a great first food (from 6 months+). Selecting a Whole Milk Yogurt is the most beneficial to your infant as babies need fats in their diets for proper growth!"

Answer by Bmat at 11:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 8 mo and I give her yogurt. I think I read somewhere that after 8 or 9 mo. it's okay to give them whole milk yogurt, like the YoBaby kind. My daughter loves it and she hasn't had any problems from it.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• They can have yogurt at that age and it's fine. It's not the same as milk for couple of reasons, one is that it's a more broken down form so it's easier to digest... and it's also not in place of breastmilk or formula (part of the reason they say no milk is because it's not as good for them so they don't want you filling up on mik)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think its something to do with the proteins in cows milk being an irritant.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i believe they say to not give yogurt and milk products before the age of one due to allergic reactions. i feel that if you want to start giving it to him then go ahead, just make sure its a little at first, and to watch for any signs of reaction.

personally, my daughter had milk/egg products before the age of one, and she was just fine.
    iluvmytriniti

Answer by iluvmytriniti at 11:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thats around the time i started letting my daugther taste yogurt. They have that baby yogurt that i bought but then that was getting kind of expensive so i just gave her small bites of mine.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 11:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You're not supposed to give MILK before a year without the doctor's guidance. That's different than dairy products......milk is a dairy product, but not all dairy products are milk.

Yogurt and cheese are okay as long as there has been no sensitivities. If you're breastfeeding and drinking milk/eating dairy products or giving a milk based formula....it's fine.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Thanks, yeah, I didn't think about it the difference between milk and dairy products. My SIL always says not to give them ANYTHING but formula and like, gerber solids, but she thinks the only way to be a good parent is to go by the books to the T. There's really no history of allergies in either of our families and I figured that if he's going to be allergic to dairy, he'll be allergic in another few months as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter loved yogurt and I was glad because it was so much cheaper than baby food. Its amazing any of us survived our parents who didn't have a "book" to teach them how to raise us. Just use your judgment...if it upsets your baby's tummy, then don't give it again...other than that, my dr wanted my daughter on table food by a year old...you've got to start sometime!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Well, at 9 months my boys were on all table foods...completely. They ate meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables and grains....your SIL would have had a fit. LOLOL

Our pediatrician was glad to see it, though. But they were always good eaters...they took up to 50oz of formula per day! (before we started giving table foods lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2009