What do you think of this idea?

I know that many people are against the bailout of the Big Three. However, I don't believe many understand how this failure could affect your daily life. Republicans are fond of "trickle down economics" or "Reagonomics" as they call it, but are not seeing the potential of "trickle down devastation" should the major automakers go under.

When one thinks of the bailout, they are thinking of high paid autoworkers - but that isn't the only people affected. What about all of those that work for plants that supply to GM? What about the metal fabricators that sell to the plants that supply to GM. What about the truck drivers that are sitting at home now that they have no supplies to ship? When those high paying loads disappear, the trucking companies still need money - they will get it by raising freight cost, therefore causing inflation on all necessary goods.

So, what do we do? I have a solution - Contd below.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i am pretty sure there are other auto companies out there who have been managing their money well enough to not need a bail out.

while i would feel bad for those employed by the big 3.....we have more than enough vehicles in the country. it would not kill them to micromanage a little better. if we hand out bail outs like its candy, then everyone would lose the little sense of self responsibility that they have left.

i, for one, am not in favor of bailing out auto companies.
    iluvmytriniti

Answer by iluvmytriniti at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Instead of asking the government to bailout the automakers, lets get the big oil companies too! We all know that foreign cars get better gas mileage - causing their profits to decrease if thats all Americans can buy. The automakers are asking for 30 billion - that is one quarter of profit for a major oil company. If GM and Chrysler go under, they are going to take a hit to their profits as well. They need to step up and help protect the industry that gives them their livelihood!

What do you think?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• iluvmytrinity - I was posting my solution when you posted your answer! I'm not asking for the govt to bail them out - but the oil companies that rely on them to make their money!

BTW - Its not just the people that work for the Big 3 that are going to suffer. We will all suffer if they go under. It will cause this recession to lead into a depression to do the multiple instances of inflation that will happen should they cease to exist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• not allowing a bail out of the big 3 will not cause our countrys recession leadin to depression....we are well on the way to that as it is.

i am not quite sure i am understanding what you mean by your solution. you want to bail out oil companies? please elaborate.
    iluvmytriniti

Answer by iluvmytriniti at 11:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• No, I want the oil companies to bail out the auto industry. I've been reading about it online and discussing it with my husband, who is a truck driver. If the oil industry wants to continue to recieve mass amounts of profits from the auto industry, they need to pony up the dough and bail them out! They have more than enough money, the govt would be let off scot free, and they would continue to reap the benefits. They have to see that if our only options are foreign automobiles, their profits will decrease due to better gas mileage.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 11:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Sorry, I was sick of being anonymous. I didn't realize that I had hit it in the first question lol :) Hi!
    MommyRust

• So because the oil companies have managed their business and profits wisely, they should be forced to bail out an industry that did NOT?! Sounds like someone bought into Obama's "spread the wealth" concept! So, if I continue to invest well in the stock market, and make more money than I need to live comfortably, I should be FORCED to give some of my "profits" to someone who did not manage their money/investments wisely? I think not! And if you were in a profitable living situation, you would agree with me too! It's only those who want something for nothing that think people should just "put up and shut up." If that's the case, then call me UNPATRIOTIC because all that will do is make me (and everyone else that invests) take money out of the stock market, causing the market to crash further!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• And for the record, the auto bailouts, if they were to go through, will not FIX the industry, it will hold them over for THREE MONTHS! Chew on that one! And Republicans like our hard earned money, we're NOT for the bailout of ANYONE!
    Anonymous

• Oh, and whatever WE think of your idea...it doesn't matter!! You all got the DEMOCRATIC President, Congress and Senate YOU wanted...maybe next time you'll think about the issues instead of someone's party affiliation or skin color!!!
    Anonymous

• I should have realized that you cannot have a respectful conversation about helping to fix our government instead of just bitching about it on Cafemom.

Your rudeness astounds me. I'm glad that by suggesting something, other than a government bailout, I am referred to as not having a "profitable living situation." What happened to having class these days? I am all for having opinions, however, I believe one can do that without bashing other people anonymously.

BTW - in the situation that you have hypothesized, you would not profit from helping out someone who mismanaged their money unless you had an invested interest in their finances. However, the oil company does profit by keeping the auto industry alive and well. That is the difference in the situation.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 12:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2009