Would you let your mil feed this to your baby?

My son is almost 6 months. He's eating baby food and things like that but MIL fixed him a big bowl of mashed potato's mixed with milk twice and fed it to him.
He screamed and cried the whole day after that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feed my daughter all kinds of things, but if your son is crying afterward, tell your mil not to feed him things other than what you have approved.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If he had a bad reaction to it, then no, but otherwise, I would...maybe just not so much at a time when you're trying something new.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• i do not know if him crying and screamin the next day had much to do with mashed potatoes, but yes, i would allow my MIL to feed my daughter taters at that age. however, they would have to be ones i made, or ones that have been made with no spices, or any additives.
    iluvmytriniti

Answer by iluvmytriniti at 11:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Yes, I would have a problem with mashed potatoes with BUTTER and MILK at 6 months old...he shouldn't be having regular milk/dairy at this age....he was probably cramping/gassy/constipated as a result which is why he screamed all day.

Tell you MIL to stick with RICE CEREAL mixed with formula or breast milk for the next couple of months....poor guy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Just tell her he has an allergy to milk, its not agreeing with him. I'm sure she'll respect that. My MIL won't feed my DD anything new without my say so. She's just cautious that way.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I don't think mashed potatoes are that big of a deal, even with milk. just remind her that you only want to give him a little or something if its a new thing. i know my husbands stepmother is always giving my son things i wouldnt give to him right away, sometimes it bothers his stomach, sometimes it doesn't.
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would've been the one to feed it to my child first off...And in a small amount. My girls both loved mashed potatos at that age but like I said I was the one to feed it to them when I was ready to...
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Yes, mashed potatoes and milk should be fine. I don't know why it would bother him unless the milk was something he hadn't had. I'd try it again, under your supervision of making it, to make sure there was nothing in it that he hadn't had before. And I wouldn't let it take the place of better food - meat, vegetables, fruit- in his diet. - 2 big bowls seems too much. A few spoonfuls- then OK.

Answer by Bmat at 11:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Take control it is your baby! My family is always suggesting my baby should eat table food. I am very protective of my child and I don't put up with that crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My daughter was already eating alot of table foods by 6 months. The sooner they pick up onw anting to eat it the better, baby food isnt that tasty and I'm sure after awhile it isnt too filling. Maybe cut back on the milk, maybe your baby is lactose and getting constipated from it.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 11:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2009