How cold is too cold to let your kids play outside?

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 2:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends on the child.  When my daughter was young she would play outside for hours in sub zero temps.  I would check on her regularly and make sure she was warm enough and she was always toasty underneath all her winter gear.  Lucky kid doesn't feel the cold, it must be the hearty Canadian genes.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• When it is in the teens with a -0 wind chill. Especially important regarding wind chill. No matter how much you pile on, you stand a 15% increase in frost bite. Oh and when your tears from the eyes freezes on contact..lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• We bundle up a lot here in the winter and time outdoors might need to be limited, but so far it has never been TOO cold for at least a little fresh air outdoors!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:36 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• living in Ohio late fall for my DS,he has Reynaulds Syndrome,he will turn blue and as he is recovering it hurts like frostbite. I was watching him turn blue today in our home,DH is wearing shorts b/c I keep home warm and DS is blue!
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 3:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• If they think it's too cold I won't send them out.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• I hate the cold and my kids are too little to go outside by themselves so I prefer not to bring them out in anything coler than 40's. But I will bring them to play in the snow. I usually don't go out if it is in the low 20's or colder.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• If they are giving health warnings on tv during the weather report that's how I judge things. As teenagers my kids don't like to bundle up. Going to the bus they only want to wear the fleece Northface jacket. I don't think it's warm enough. they keep telling me they are fine.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• It's never to cold for them to play outside at all but the weather does determine how many layers they put on and how long they can stay out at a time. If it is below freezing we will limit it to 20 min at a time. Since we are in Georgia it never really gets so cold I would not be comfortable with them being outside for some amount of time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• in florida, its never too cold. but when its cold AND windy, i keep them inside usually.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2011

• at school they play outside until the wind chill is 0 or the temp is below 0. at home, unless it is bitter cold, they are allowed to play outside if they want - we basically follow the same idea/rule as the school. there are winters that they do not play outside for 2-3 months because it gets so cold here.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 8:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2011