• In the Spotlight:

For mommies who have done unassisted childbirth...

What do you feel are the benefits of UC over a drug-free, intervention-free hospital birth attended by a midwife and what were your reasons for choosing UC?

Godluvzu

Asked by Godluvzu at 11:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Bump! I want to know, too!
    it's probably that even unassisted in a hosptial they end up pressuring you to have interventions when you don't need them, when at home it's just the mid-wife and you don't have to worry about her saying "oh no you need a c-section/pitocin/epidural!" if you really don't.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 11:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Well we are doing an unassisted birth with this baby. I think the benefits are different for everyone. For us we have very few options. We cant afford 3000 dollars for the BC 1.5 hours away, there are like 2 direct entry midwives but they don't have openings here (who do homebirths), or I am stuck delivering at the base hospital which is a huge no.

An unassisted delivery isn't the perfect decision for everyone. I haven't met a person who regrets their decision to UC or who had any complications from it. The key is to learn and know that things happen and you might need to go to the hospital. Also, we are doing shadow care with a midwife on base to make sure that things are still going well with the pregnancy and no complications arise.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• (cont). If you have a midwife and they deliver at hospitals you need to ask their policy on a lot of interventions, vaginal exams, drugs, pitocin, iv's etc. Many midwives who work with hospitals are more like OB's and having a completely intervention free hospital birth is hard. IF you can find a homebirth midwife in your area call them, or even a birth center. Those options are far better than a hospital AND less scary for many than the idea of unassisted home birth. Hospitals are for sick people and you are not sick when pregnant and labor and delivery does not need to be a production.

The benefits are different for everyone though. For me, I had a hospital birth and the doctors and nurses made it very difficult to have anything done the way I wanted it to. In hospitals there is a lot more fighting for an intervention free hospital birth, than outside of it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I haven't had one. But I have attended hospital births, home births, and birth center births. And I know UCing mamas. There are big differences in the locations~ and in the case with a natural hospital birth, it's extremely different than a home birth. It's just not normal to get in the car when a mom is in labor. Or ot talk to strangers about information. Or to get poked or wear gear, etc. Moms looking to UC want a more pure, natural birth experience.

And there are different reasons for being unattended. But to answer your question, what I see about these two locations is an immense difference.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I am similar to doulala, I haven't had one, but have attended hospital, home, birth center births. Where you have your baby make a big difference. An unmedicated, intervention free birth in a hospital can be a beautiful experience, however, you could have up to 10-20 different strangers in and out of your hospital room during that time.

There are different reasons for being unattended... pure, privacy, etc. Most mamas who UC have highly researched it and educated and prepared.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I had a couple of other questions to go with this discussion also:

What if you had +GBS? Would that change where or how you birth?

What about if you previously gave birth in a hospital or BC and there was a problem with the baby such as with breathing or being sick at birth? Would that affect whether or not you would choose to do UC?
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 1:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• GBS+ wouldn't change my decision at all. GBS doesn't need antibiotics at birth, in fact the bacteria could show up any time after the test has occurred.

There are natural ways to prevent GBS from spreading to the baby, tea tree oil rubbed on the perineum/rectal/vaginal area or a suppository inserted can kill the bacteria and taking echinacea would boost your immune system.

As for a previous hospital birth with a sick baby, that also wouldn't change my decision to UC. Breathing issues can be resolved at home, most of them, and if not the hospital is only 5 min away. :) As for being sick, if it was genetic then yes otherwise there is no way to know if your next baby would be sick. Who knows, the hospital could have been the cause for the baby being sick. With my daughter, that was the reason she had problems.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I'm planning a UC with this pregnancy. I will not be able to get an intervention free birth in a hospital at all. I wouldn't even be able to get a vaginal birth in a hospital due to my c-section history. My last birth was at home with a midwife and while it went well I feel as if I'd much prefer to do things differently this time. I don't want to feel like I'm hosting while I'm in labor. My midwife didn't even do much and she disappeared before the point when she was actually needed. I have and will continue to educate myself enough to be able to do just as much as she could. I am GBS + and that hasn't effected my decision.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• cont'
    I use hibiclense during labor to prevent problems. It has chlorhexidine in it which has been shown to have the same affect as abx in studies. I have had one child with breathing problems in the hospital but they were BECAUSE of the hospital. Had they not given me a c-section he wouldn't have had those problems to begin with. Since I obviously won't be giving myself a c-section at home, I'm not at all worried about it.
    Pauline3283

• By unassisted, do you mean it's just you and no one else?
    Anonymous