Soy milk healthy or not?

My 20 month old will not drink any other kind of milk not even chocolate, but she loves soy milk. Is it healthy for her to drink?

fefesma

Asked by fefesma at 12:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's fine. Not sure why it wouldn't be...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think soy is better than regular milk if you ask me. I read some material on this and most of us naturally should be weaned off of milk around 2 years old.

The only thing I'd watch out for depending on how much she drinks is hormonal levels. I heard that soy does something with estrogen levels. You can probably look up on internet.

I wouldn't be concerned if she's just drink 8oz- 3 x day though.
    lookingahead

Answer by lookingahead at 1:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• soy milk is fine. it does contain psuedoestrogens but our bodies cant do much with it...it just passes through. the calcium in soy milk isnt as bioavailable as the calcium in cows milk so try to other calcium sources to her diet. my son drinks soy as well, we love it!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• No. Look at this article: http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm
    Try almond milk. It is SO good.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I think the jury is still out on this one.
    We drink soy in our house because one of my twins is allergic to dairy.
    Have you tried mixing whole milk with soy milk? You could try to do that for a while and then try gradually decreasing the amount of soy she gets until she's drinking all cow's milk. (As long as her pedi says it's ok. She can also make the switch to skim milk or a lower fat milk at age 2 unless the pedi says otherwise).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Yes, it's fine.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2009