Time out corner dilemma

My daughter is 4. She doesn't get sent to the naughty corner a lot, she is pretty good most of the time. But of course, she does get in trouble. When she does, I send her to the corner. She gets so upset, which is to be expected, but she vomits! naturally, I don't want to clean up vomit all of the time, but she has to be punished for bad behavior, and i can't let the vomiting manipulate me out of disciplining her! Any suggestions? It doesn't matter what kind of time out she gets-she just gets upset, like most kids do i'm sure, but she's a puker!

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Can you give her a bag and send her to the "naughty" corner? Tell her that if she purposely does not vomit in the bag- more time in the naughty corner and help clean up.

Anonymous

• I was going to say set a bucket there for her and tell her to make sure she pukes in it....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• How nasty for you! Make her time out spot in the bathroom and she can just vomit in the toilette.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would pay not attention to her. Once her time out is finished, have her clean up the mess. Maybe once she cleans her mess she will stop.
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• have her help you clean it up. im sure after cleaning up her own puke a few times she'll be a little less likely to do it.
    Anonymous

• I agree, put a bucket in the corner too and if she makes a mess on the floor have her help you clean it up. But react calm, don't let her push your buttons or she will continue. Eventually she will stop.

Also talk to her pediatrician about it, if she does this often it could be messing her insides up.
    OneLove4Jesus

Answer by OneLove4Jesus at 3:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Time-out locations can be a chair, a corner, or a bedroom. The punishment is the child's removal from the place or activity they want to be at that moment. It matters less where you send her than the fact that she is remove from her preferred place or activity. Remind her that a rule has been broken (e.g., "Lilly, when you throw your toys, you have to sit in the time-out chair for two minutes." For a child under 5, time-out would be only a few minutes; up to 5 minutes for children 5 to 10; and up to 10 minutes for older children. Consistency is the main thing here. I would say, "Lilly, you can play with your toys again when the timer goes off." Set a timer for two minutes, and go back to whatever you were doing. No discussion or negotiaton is necessary.
    Anonymous