What shots???

does your newborn get??? right when they are born??

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 3:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's not exactly right when they're born, the clean them up and if you want you get to nurse and bond for awhile (for us it was a whole hour but it may be different for your hospital) then they get blood work done and I don't think any other shots at the hospital but as a side note- I did read somewhere that if you prolong the bloodwork and general pricking of baby they have something like a 40% stronger first time immune system which makes them that much stronger in the long run. I would ask around for more info if you're interested but if you do want to do it, all you've got to do is ask your nurses to wait a few hours for blood work and they should respect it easy :)
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 5:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• The do give some vaccines before the baby leaves the hospital. The get the HepB (hepatitus B) vaccine at birth then boosters after that.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• BTW at birth I mean while they are in the hospital not right when they pop out. At 1 to 2 months is when they stat getting the other vaccines.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Hep B is given the same day they are born as well as a Vitamin K shot. Vitamin K is good, it prevents bleeding in the brain that can occur in infants (and I forgot the percentage sorry) BUT the shot can also be dangerous. What you can do is ask your pediatrician for a script for vitamin K drops, and that is much safer.

They will ask you to sign a waiver for the hep B vaccine, they can not give it to your baby without that waiver signed. So don't sign it. Also, make a "crib card" saying "no vaccines, and vitamin K is given in dropper form" so that it will be in the bassinet at the hospital. If you nurse, you can add "no formula or pacifier" etc. But baby shouldn't be in the nursery unless he/she has to be.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Thanks :) i wasnt sure what was given to them.. i wanted to make sure. im not going to give my baby the shots, but i wanted to know which ones they would give them.... so vitamin k && hep B. thanks ladies! :D
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

KelsoBabeyy

• Yeah...Hep B(ridiculous for a newborn!) and Vit K. Glad to hear that you are declining them.

I also declined(wrote it in my birth plan). I thought they would give me some kind of consent form or ask. But they were just going to go ahead and do it. I am glad I spoke up and told them that I didn't want it...obviously they didn't take my birthplan seriously.

Make sure you tell them(notify everyone in the room), and have your Dh/So watch over the baby at all times.

MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 7:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2008