How can I get my 10 month old to stop fighting me every night to go to bed?

Okay I have my daughter on a schedule. She goes to bed at 7 every night. This use to not be a problem untill recently. Now as soon as I lay her down she screams. I pick her up, she's fine. I lay her down. She's fine. As soon as I walk out of the room, she screams and screams then stops as soon as I get her. Its driving me nuts because I'm up all night trying to get her to sleep. And when I do she's up every couple of hours. I'm so tired. everyone says to let her cry it out but it brings tears to my eyes. How can I teach her that bed time is bedtime without me losing sleep or her screaming bloody murder????

DaKoTaSmOm228

Asked by DaKoTaSmOm228 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I also have a 10 month old but I have a son. I am dealing with a similar situation. My son does not like to go to bed before 11:30 pm but most of the time I am ready to turn in before that time. What I do is put him in his crib, kiss him good-night, tell him "I love you", explain that mommy needs to go to bed, kiss & say "I love you" again, then I leave the room. Sometimes he cries for a few minutes and sometimes it's a little longer BUT eventually he falls asleep. The key is to let her soothe herself - that is the only way she will learn. Keep trying and she will eventually get the idea. Good luck!!!!
    vpsmama

Answer by vpsmama at 2:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I've been there, believe me, LOL. You sound like my husband, he couldn't stand to let our now 2 y.o cry when it was time to go to bed in her own room. It would really upset him, he felt like he was abusing her. No. Our doctor told us that the only way she was going to sleep on her own, in her own bed, and go there peacefully, is to learn how to self-soothe. It may take 1 week or it may take 2, but you HAVE to be consistent. You are not abusing her. She will learn to calm down and soothe herself to sleep, then after a while, it will be no effort at all. I also suggest having a routine. Like at 6:30 start the bedtime ritual. Pajamas, brush teeth, and then read her a book in bed. Say stuff like, it's almost bedtime, time to do our routine! Also, maybe make a big deal about a new pillowcase with her favorite character on it. Take her to the store to pick it out and tell her its her new night night pillowcase. Good luck!
    JaneEyre6279

Answer by JaneEyre6279 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would also consider shortening her naps during the day...maybe she just plain isn't tired!
    TracieE

Answer by TracieE at 1:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• You picked her up. That was the mistake. Kiss her, lay her down, tell her you love her and leave the room. She'll fuss but 3 days of that and she'll sleep. I promise. You'll feel like crap but it works like a charm. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2009