how do u explain to your 9 yr old son his father is not his bio father?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well I would go with the truth thing. If you think he is mature enough to know and you want to tell him just do it. But then you might open a can of worms and he might want to find him and have a realtionship so are you ready for that???
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 7:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Does he know how a woman gets pregnant because if he doesn't you will totally confuse him. My sone is 10 and he just had a sex ed course at school and they explained to him about the whole sperm thing and when he was telling me about it my 8 year old was totally confused and still asks how the sperm gets in the mommy. So, I would advise you to talk to him about sex first. If he isn't ready to learn about sex, he probably isn't ready to learn about biological parents.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 7:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• This depends. Is your son's biological father from another past relationship, or sperm donation? The reason I ask is because our sons were conceived using anonymous sperm donor. We explained to our 7 year old about sperm and eggs in general (he still doesn't know how sperm gets to eggs as he hasn't asked yet.) and we just explained that mommy and daddy needed help from another man as daddy doesn't have sperm. He was fine with this at this point in his life.

If your son was conceived from a past relationship you may have a curious son who may want to know more about his dad and want a relationship etc. Also you have to put your DH feeling into play too. How does he feel about this?
    jeni2671

Answer by jeni2671 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2008