when can I get my son into preschool?

He just turned 3 in January but I know he has to be atleast 4 years old to get in but his bday is in January and school starts in Sep. down here so can I still put him in at 3 1/2?
Is there any other others having this problem?

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You wait until next september AFTER he turns 4.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the system. If you're going to pay for one, you can find 3 year old preschools. If you're looking for free ones through the schools system, they're pretty sticky about the age.

I have a son born in December. The age cutoff here is December 1. He has to wait until the following year and start kindergarten with his younger brother (born in November) Ugh.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If you are paying then most want them to be 2.9 yrs old and potty trained. Headstart may have diff rules and if they say after 4, then its the sept after he turns 4.

Answer by gemgem at 1:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Cut off dates are different in different school districts.

The preschool where my 3 year old attends does not require potty training. (we pay) They will work with them though if we are training.

The free preschools (head start and UPK) require them to be 4 years before the cut off and potty trained.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Yes, it definately depends on where you live. Up here, you pay before 4 years of age. Some places will take them if they are not potty trained and some won't. The cheapest ones I found was actually through some religious organizations. Catholic, etc. Alot of them have cheap preschool groups. Look around and good luck
    lilsteven

Answer by lilsteven at 6:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My son is 4 and he is in 4-K. We pay $100 a month for him to attend a private school. His public school system offers a 4-K but it is for low income families and children who are.....
    I called the school, when I was looking, and there was a waiting list of over 100 students. They screen all the students by giving them a test on vocal, social, and motor skills. They take the ones who screen extremely low and have low income. I dont recommend head start unless this is a must. PLEASE PLEASE do your research if you use a head start program. The school that my son is at also does a 3-K program they can go 5 days a week or 3 days a week. There are a few different classes. My son goes 5 days a week and they go on field trips every month. I would call around to your different churches, private schools to see what they offer!
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I TYPED TO MUCH HERE IS A CON'T OF MY POST ABOVE

Also, call your school district to get more information as well. Get your child tested by the school district as well. They will do this starting at age 2. This will give you some information on where your child is compairable to other children his age born in the same month. Best of all it is totally free.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2009