Can a cervix being sewed up lesson your chances of getting pregnant?

Ive been of my mirena for almost 4 mths now.I have my cervix sewed up and the doctors left it sewed after I had my son back in August 07.The reason my cervis was sewed up is because I have a weak cervix thats how I lost my first son at 27 weeks,but anyways I wondering if that will lesson.

sxymomma20

Asked by sxymomma20 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You would really want to speak with a reproductive specialist on that one. I don't see how the sperm could get past the cervix up to the fallopian tubes if it is sewn shut. Unless that is reversed, you're probably going to have very slim chances. If there's a reason it needs to stay closed, there are ways to bypass the cervix, such as IVF, but you'd need to get a doctor's help.

Good luck!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 1:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Its possible that the trauma of that could have damaged cervical mucous producing cells. which could affect your cervical mucous--needed for holding sperm after intercourse. However, you may not have trouble at all. If you do, you can always have intrauterine insemination, which bypasses the cervical mucous thing altogether. Best wishes.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• My doctor told me that it will not lesson the chance. He just said that the pregnancy would have to be monitored very carefully.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Is your cervix still sewn shut? I am unclear on what you're asking. If your cervix was still sewn shut it would definitely lessen your chance of getting pregnant. The sperm has to pass through the cervix to get through the uterus into the fallopian tubes where most fertilization takes place.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2009

• if your cervix is sown shut you cannot get preg at all because the sperm and egg cannot meet.The cervix is usually sewn shut after you are already preg to keep the baby in,but not after.never heard of that.
    Anonymous

• there is actually a stitch that sperm can pass through, i forget what its called, but you can have it in for like 3 pregnancies i think
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2009